Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
MissLyss1024

Exclamation Fish looks like he has mold on his fins!

I just noticed today that my male betta looks like he has mold on his fins! I'm not sure what it is or what I should do, help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided.
What temperature is your tank? 80.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Was in there with another male, but he died a few days ago, less than 2 days after I put both of them in the new divided tank. I assumed he couldn't handle the stress of seeing another male.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Haikari Betta Bio Gold.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets, twice daily. Weekly treat of freeze dried blood worms.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Just set up the tank, plan on 50% changes twice weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25 (Water change scheduled for today)
Nitrite: Between 0-0.25.
Nitrate: 0.
pH: 8.2
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks like he has mold on his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's still ajusting to his new home, but he's perked up a bit the past day.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've only had him a few weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
lvandert

do you have a picture? is it white and fluffly? and did you scrub the tank out after the other betta died?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 
MissLyss1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
do you have a picture? is it white and fluffly? and did you scrub the tank out after the other betta died?
I can't get a picture, but yes, its white and fluffy and on just his fins from what I can tell. And I didn't scrub the tank, I assumed the other betta died from the stress of being in the divided tank. He didn't appear to have anything wrong with him. I promptly took this betta out and put him into a qt bowl with fresh water. I have no medications and I'm not sure what I need for this. Also, there is green/yellow foam and a slight slime on top of the water? I just got new plants in a few days ago and soaked/inspected them.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Do a 100% change on the main tank.

Keep your male in quarantine and start treating with Aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal dissolved. Change the water in his quarantine container 100% every day for 7 to 10 days.

did you quarantine the male that died before adding him to the tank or did you already have him for a bit?

the greenish coloring might be from new plants but check to see if your gravel or any decorations might be leaching colors. Soak them in a plain container and see if the water changes colors then.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 
lvandert

ok the white fuzz is a fungal growth/infection. You need to get something for it. anything marked for curing fungal growth will help.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 
MissLyss1024

They were both in seperate bowls for a few weeks before I put them in the tank together. Should I treat with the aquarium salt before medication? And when I do the 100% change on the tank should I sterilize the gravel and decorations?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 
lvandert

you can start with the salt and introduce the meds later. you can do both at the same time if you want to but if you get the medication you definitely dont need the salt. If your going to take you fish out and do a deep clean on the tank then ya I'd clean the gravel and decorations. It wont hurt.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

I wouldn't recommend mixing medication and aquarium salt unless it's dire and chances are already bleak. Often the combination is too harsh and ends up harming the fish.

It is ok to mix medication and epsom salt however since epsom has a different composition than aquarium.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 
lvandert

I'd go with that ^^
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #10 
MissLyss1024

I don't have anything right now except for epsom salt. Would this be alright until I can get medication tomorrow? And how should I clean the tank? I have all live plants, gravel, and ceramic decorations.