Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #1 
lilyrazen

Weird fins?

So I haven't had a VT since elementary school, (about... 6 ish years now) and I'm feeling weird about the way Cicero's fins look.

I can't post a picture, I'm on my phone and will be for a few days, but I can describe them.

They're stiff. He swims, but the fins hardly move like they should. They're just sort of... There.
I'm unsure of why. I've never experienced clamped fins, so I wouldn't know what to look for, and I'm pretty sure it's taking a toll on his swimming. He swims fine, but the gentle filter current picks him up and carries him away.

My tank is 3.5 gallons, heated to 79, filtered and I just got him in there Friday afternoon.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

Shine a bright light on him, look for Ick. Sometimes Ick cannot be seen with just regular tank lighting.

He may be a bit stressed out as well, you can try getting him some API Stress Coat, that and just add a little bit more then the norm (2 caps there abouts).
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #3 
lilyrazen

Okay I will check in the morning. Thanks so much! And I never have any stresscoat (shame on me, I know) but I usually use Start Right because it restores slime coat and heals up fins.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

The API Stress Coat also helps replace slime coat, it's great stuff, I use it in place of regular water conditioner.

Let me know how things turn out. :)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 
lilyrazen

Sorry for the last response, I was volunteering for my band today.

I looked with the flashlight, and no white dots! He DOES look like he's coated in glitter, but I assume that's just part of his color.

I added more of my Start Right and he's probably going to be fine.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

That's good, we can rule out Ick.

Is it a gold dust like? Does it look like these fish here, or similar?

http://fighterfish.org/wp-content/up...sick-betta.jpg

http://www.bettainfo.com/wp-content/...ta_velvet1.jpg

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....3&d=1315280143

If so then he may have Velvet. It looks very glittery, like a gold dust of sorts. I attached a picture of a fish we had rescued last year who had Velvet- he had been living with some goldfish and someone put him on CraigsList, so we tried to save him. He unfortunately didn't make it, he was very very sick.

Is your boy acting any better at all?
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 
lilyrazen

He's moving a LOT, which is good but he almost never stops moving. The only gold coloring is on his cladual, head, and underbody but it isn't raised or separate from his skin. There is some white film on the surface of his tank, like seafoam floating on the water.

And for his sparkle, I'm pretty sure the sparkle I'm seeing is part of his color.

And the only off thing I'm noticing is that his rays are longer than his fins as a whole, giving them a spiky look.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 
battered

It might have a lot to do with the stress of a new environment. Give him a couple of days, make sure you don't cause any more stress than necessary, and he should perk up even more.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote