Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #1 
MrVampire181

Buying fish on Aquabid

Some people may be wondering how to do this. It can be confusing and taunting.

For starters:
The thought of getting your fish from another part of the country or the WORLD for that matter may be scary. The thought of your betta beauties going through the mail is even scarier. Trust me it's 100% safe. Sure there's a few DOAs but bettas are very good travelers. In fact your bettas got to the store buy getting shipped from Thailand!

Signing up for Aquabid:

*You will need a PayPal account, very few sellers will accept a different method of payment.

First go to www.aquabid.com. Click on "Register". Fill out all required fields. YOU CANNOT CHOOSE YOUR PASSWORD SO REMEMBER THE ONE YOU GET!

Choosing a seller:
This is VERY important. Look for a seller with many good reviews and low DOA policy. Here's a very good page with information on choosing a seller:

http://bettatalk.com/selecting_a_seller.htm

Buy It Now VS Bidding:
I prefer only to buy auctions labeled Buy It Now because I have bidding wars. In fact I've only bidded on one auction and that was my amazing purple DT boy from Martinismommy.

Buying from someone in your country:
Ok so you found someone selling a betta in your country? Now Buy It Now or bid (instructions below). When you Buy It Now you'll get a message saying to contact the seller about payment and shipping. For US sellers they offer $15 Priority shipping or $35 Express shipping...personally I never use Priority because I don't want my new fish in the mail longer than they need to be. So you pay and arrange shipping dates. Ask any questions you have at this point. Keep in touch with the seller, they like to keep up with how the fish are doing. Remember to honor the DOA policy should you recieve a dead fish.

Buying from Asia:
Most of the time they're from Thailand. It's easier than it sounds (well for me hehe ). So like above bid or buy the aution. Contact the seller for shipping and payment.

Here's a list of costs for ordering from Thailand:

*Price of fish
*Price of overnight shipping to transhipper ($5 per fish)
*Price of handling (to be payed to transhipper, $2 per fish)
*Price of shipping from transhipper ($15 Priority or $35 Express)

The above is just basic....prices vary from transhipper to transhipper.

Picking the right transhipper:
Location is important. I pick my fish up from Linda Olson and she's a very nice and helpful person. If you have a local transhipper try to arrange a pickup date. If not pick a good transhipper, from what I've heard Linda Olson and Jenn Vivieros are the best. I've heard ok things about Julie Tran, bad things about Pegasus, and nothing about Kevin.

If you don't live in the US research your local transhippers.

My reccomendations:

Here are some good sellers who I highly reccomend buying from:

*the_K
*Martinismommy
*Chaba

I hope this helped anyone confused about buying bettas from Aquabid.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #2 
JKfish

Great info, but you can actually change your password.

Go to "My account". Under "My information" click "Change Password". Enter your username, current password, and then the password you want. :)

One question though, after you buy the fish, pay the breeder and choose your transhipper, don't you have to contact the breeder saying which transhipper you are using and then contact the transhipper telling him or her what you are buying and having shipped to them? I'm a bit unclear of if that's what happens or if once you tell the breeder which transhipper you are using if the breeder then contacts the transhipper and gives him/her the info...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Usually the breeder will tell you the next shipment dates and list the transhippers recieving fish and you choose from that list. For example when I imported my super red pair Linda and Julie were the only ones listed. Also every bettas bag contains your name, adress, and email...so I think the transhipper actually contacts you.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

This is good info for anyone who wants to buy from Aquabid.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 
repru04

Thank you for the info. I've bought from AB but always in country. I've been curious about ordering from Tailand and now feel pretty confident about it.
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #6 
CharStarr

Im having trouble finding sellers in Canada, I live in Toronto and I was hoping to buy from someone in the same country or heck even province. I've noticed a good portion of sellers won't ship/sell internationally. Do you recommend or know any Canadian sellers?
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

EliteBetta on YouTube has the best, top show quality bettas in Canada.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 
ChardFish

Thank you for this information; I am one of those that surfs pet stores for my fish, as I don't like the thought of a fish in the mailbox. My first "shipped to me" fish is a rescue, coming from fellow member Creat, a young plakat (So excited!!!). When he comes happy healthy and hale, I will probably feel better about it....
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #9 
lelei

Thanks so much for that..I am constantly looking at AB and have always debating because of the process.. but that info helps clear up a lot:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
Mo

Here is a general guide mr vs guide is good but the shipping prices provided are a bit low to the quotes I've gotten from transhipper's Basically an additional 30 bucks for each twenty dollar fish you add to an order is a good guideline for priority

1 fish - 20 dollars original bidding price- 5 dollars transhipping cost - 25 priority from transhipper - 50 dollars

2 fish - 40 bidding price - 10 dollars transhipping cost - 30 dollars priority - 80 dollars

3 fish - 60 dollars bidding price - 15 dollar transhipping cost - 35 dollars priority - 110.
The list goes on and on but I think you guys got it by now
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote