Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

Male Betta + Female Betta?

So I got a new tank, and my girlfriend got a new Betta for herself that happen to be a very beautiful Dark blue/black crown tail female. After I set up my tank and before I moved Delta into his new home, she decided to do a WC for her tank. filter wasn't put back together properly so her tank got filled with a bunch of crap, 100% WC. So I said it was ok for her to put her fish into my tank while she did that, before I moved Delta in. She did the water change.

While I got all her fish out. Thinking her Betta was still in it's cup, I didn't happen to take it out of my tank before I put Delta, considering it was hiding when I got all the other fish. I happened to notice that the other Betta was in my tank while walking to the bathroom and noticed Delta acting different. I went to the tank right after I finished. This is when I realized that the two fish had been in the same tank for about 2 hours. I didn't see them fighting but I saw minor aggression (one would chase the other really fast) then they would go back to playing with each other and on their own. Then repeat.

I watched for about an hour, no fin nipping occurred just those same things over and over. I don't know if Delta doesn't mind her being in the same tank as he is, he doesn't show signs of wanting to mate, but more just to play. She doesn't seem to show any hostility at Delta. I'm just wondering if I leave them in the same tank for a while if I would end up with a dead fish, or my girlfriend would end up with a dead fish. My girlfriend insisted on leaving them together but I don't really know.

Ideas?
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #2 
lilyrazen

You'll either end up with a beaten up/dead fish or a bunch of babies. Or, maybe even both.

Either way... It's not the best idea. The fish wouldn't be very happy in the long run.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Males and females can't be together unless for breeding purposes and VERY big tanks, possibly a pond. You're going to end up having a very sick or even dead fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #4 
vP H O T O Nv

That's what I thought. I guess they were just getting a feel for the place. Maybe thinking that one another were in the tank and belong there. Considering they are both new to it.

But I will get the female out. Since I don't feel it necessary to clog up the forums with posts I might as well just as now. Since the female is my girlfriends, and I don't have a tank it can live in. (Excluding a Betta cube and half gallon tank)

Would the Female get along with the following fish?
2x Neon Tetra's
3x Fresh water crabs
3x Sword tails (1 male 2 females)
3x Snails
1x Bottom feeding catfish thing

I really don't want to see the Betta get moved to a small tank. Considering I just moved Delta out of one. I also don't want her to get harassed by the other fish in my girlfriends tank.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I guess she could go in. Freshwater crabs? Not sure about that one. There should be more neons IMO.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #6 
lilyrazen

If you're talking about fiddler crabs, they need a semi-terrestrial environment, so they won't be able to live in a communal aquarium.

If the catfish is a corydora (Cory), it would need a group of at least 4 to thrive. Neons also need 6 or more to live happily.

If the tank is more than ten gallons, I'd say yes. But ten or less, she'd probably feel a bit crowded as it would be starting to get overstocked, specially if you readjusted your neon numbers and possibly adjusted to accommodate cories.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #7 
vP H O T O Nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrazen View Post
If you're talking about fiddler crabs, they need a semi-terrestrial environment, so they won't be able to live in a communal aquarium.

If the catfish is a corydora (Cory), it would need a group of at least 4 to thrive. Neons also need 6 or more to live happily.

If the tank is more than ten gallons, I'd say yes. But ten or less, she'd probably feel a bit crowded as it would be starting to get overstocked, specially if you readjusted your neon numbers and possibly adjusted to accommodate cories.
I know the crabs are Semi-Terrestrial, the tank was set up for so they could climb out of the water onto flotations. I know more neon's are needed. The catfish thing isn't a cory, it starts with a P, and they tend to just stick to them self. Since it is a 10 gal tank I see how it could get crowded, it just looks crowded right now. Sadly not my tank so I can't make the decisions only give advice.

As for the Betta, I have put her in my little 1/2 gal tank until I can figure something out. I guess I can get her a new tank, or I get a divider, might make Delta a little mad about having half the tank but he doesn't really like the filter.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #8 
lilyrazen

Oh okay then you're all set. I think you're thinking of pleco, and in that case he's fine until he gets big.

She should be all good to go in, as long as you watch the crabs, they've been known to be aggressive at times.

She'll probably be fine, much better than in a half gallon.

Also: divided tanks are sometimes really cool. I have a divided ten for two of my betas and they love it- a lot.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #9 
vP H O T O Nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrazen View Post
Oh okay then you're all set. I think you're thinking of pleco, and in that case he's fine until he gets big.

She should be all good to go in, as long as you watch the crabs, they've been known to be aggressive at times.

She'll probably be fine, much better than in a half gallon.
Okay, thank you. I will leave her in the 1/2 gal till the morning then get her into her new home.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The crabs need brackish water (half way to sea water) or they will wither away and die within a few weeks.
If you have a pictus cat, that is WAY too small for a 10 gallon, it's a good sized semi aggressive fish that needs a good deal of room. Pleco, won't work either. The tank is overstocked.
Also, watch the sword tails they may try and beat the betta up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote