Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

Pleco setup emergency.

Okay before I list the situation I want to let you all know I am fully aware pleco's need large space and he will get it soon. He will be in a 30 gallon breeder for a few months until I get my dads 55 gallon tank, he will likely be alone in that too. I can't rehome him so please be kind and don't ask. I live in the middle of no where, I don't know but a couple of people in my town and they don't keep fish. Especially not enormous ones. and I will not advertise him on craigslist and give him to a stranger. I need some real advise so please don't lecture me on what I already understand. I really appreciate kindness in this situation :)

My plan for this big guy is a 30 gallon breeder (30 gallon long) tank with a 30 gallon filter since he is the only fish in there. Bare bottom tank. I am going to have to suppliment his diet until the tank establishes because I have to take him next week so this means water changes like mad crazy. I am going to suppliment him with driftwood and wafers.

I am okay with taking this guy but I have to express my feelings. I don't like pleco's but I will not see this beautiful guy get hurt. My dad has him in a way overstocked tank that has him, chinese algae eaters (About 8), other bottom feeders, tetra's of various types, molly's of various types, and yes... female betta's *cringe* danios too I think.

I love my dad but he is the know it all type and he refuses to learn from a *kid*. I am 25 so remember you will always be your parents baby. I wish I could help him but that isn't going to happen. He is using a 55 long with one of those huge canister filters.

Lately he has been threatening to use this pleco as bait or throw him in a creek. I don't think he is serious but on the off chance I told him I wanted him. He is one of those unfortunate people that bought this guy and didn't realize how clumsy they are. This fish whips around in their and knocks over things. He really needs to be by his self until he gets an appropriate tank in my opinion. The female betta's bump him on the head a lot. He hides his head in a cave I made for him but his whole rear stick out. He is stressed with all of these fish. Theirs at least 50 other fish in there.

I had some questions

What veggies can I use to suppliment his diet?

Will a thirty gallon filter be okay with just him?

The tank will be heated of course but what wattage should I use in a 30?

What other advise can I get on pleco's since I literally have only the basic knowledge about them?

What water changes do you suggest?

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 07-22-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 
Silverfang

The only question I can answer is about the food blanched cucumber and zucchini are great choices. I believe peas would be enjoyable for them as well.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #3 
registereduser

Does this question also show up on http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ because you might get more answers there.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since you already know a 30 or 55gal is not going to suit this common pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) for the long term since they get over 2 feet-but usually only about a foot or so in the aquarium.....I would like to recommend that you look into the monster fish keeping site/forum......You never know-might be able to find someone in your area-the monster keepers are always looking for big plecos and they can live up to 15 years.....

Until then....about any type of veggie-I like to blanch mine first, however, as the common pleco matures their diet changes to a higher protein..Along with your algae wafers get some shrimp pellets or catfish wafer to feed as well...good that you are adding the real driftwood that he can rasp on to help with digestion. Mine loved to suck on live red worms, steamed shrimp, sweet potatoes, zuccini, green beans, spinach....about anything I put in the tank they would eat....

They are a poop machine-the filter should be fine-along with 50% weekly with good vacuum once the nitrogen cycle has established....Heater for 30gal....50w-150w should maintain the temp of 68-90F....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Okay, I got everything that I need now. I would like to re-home him if I can find someone that can prove they can care for him. I would like to see him get a nice 75 somewhere. He has been in this 55 for at least 5 years so I fear he is already affected. I Have heaters of those various sizes. from 50 all the way to a 200 so I am good there. I also have up to a 40 gallon filter. So looks like all I need is veggies. I have the driftwood as well. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Good luck, Shirley. He is a lucky pleco to have someone who will take him in like this and care for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks Sakura, I would take in a wounded bear if I could. I am just that way. I can't turn away any living creature that needs a home be it temperary or permanant *glares at terrier* he was only supposed to be temporary.
I shouldn't say I would take in any living creature. Spiders can die -_-
Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I shouldn't say I would take in any living creature. Spiders can die -_-
Ditto on that.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta