Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #21 
Shadyr

Indigo is a looker, for sure. It's just SO hard to get him to really flare out those fins. I think he's very possibly the most mellow of the ones we have. I still do not have a really good picture of him showing off. Chicory and Ghost come pose at the front of their tanks for me, Indigo will come up to the top and let me get overheads, and Lavatail is just plain wiggly - I think he's the youngest of them, actually.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Georgie's fins are too heavy he cannot hold them grand when flaring, like my other veils
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #23 
JustARegularFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Betta fix is diluted, won't do much other than maybe damage the labrynth organ. I don't like using anything with "fix" in the name.

I'm wondering if it could be columnaris. Did it look like a missing scale? Or not? And when did you clean the tank last before you did this recent clean?
Just curious, because I'm having this same problem, but on a bigger scale. Would you recommend Maracyn for this kind of problem if the disease seemed advanced enough?
JustARegularFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #24 
Shadyr

Well, in this case Indigo had a missing scale or two, it was not disease related. AQ salt and warm water changes fixed him up. But if there is a infection going on, I would go with something like the Maracyns - Bettafix is an antiseptic (wound cleaner, ie, not going to help cure an infection) and can harm a betta's special breathing organ if the dose is too high. From what I've read around here, there does tend to be a higher chance of infections in summer - guess the ickies like warmer temps just as much as bettas.

Hope that helped! Good luck!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #25 
JustARegularFan

Thank you so much! For him, it started out as some missing scales, but it started spreading and getting fuzzy. I thought whatever was going on was bacterial and wasted a week treating him with tetracycline, so it has more than doubled in size. It sounded pretty infection-worthy to me, but I'm still not entirely sure.
JustARegularFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #26 
Shadyr

Here's what the stickies say on that:

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

Since you say it's spreading, I would set my tank to the temperature suggested and go right for one of the suggested medicines.