Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 
LittleWatty

10 Gallon with King - Community?

Once my 10 gallon cycles, I'm thinking of making it a community. However, I've read that King's tend to put out a lot of ammonia, and I don't want to overload the tank. I haven't thought much about it yet, as my tank's not even close to cycling. I was really just wondering if it was a possibility, and if what I've got in mind (not much!) would work.

Top Level: King

Mid Level: Unsure? Maybe tetras?

Bottom Level: A couple cories (3 or 4?) or a Bristlenosed Pleco (will one be ok in 10 gallons?)
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
lilyrazen

Many people would think even a bristlenose (which usually gets about 5") would need at least 20 gallons. Also, tetras USUALLY aren't a problem but in some cases, mostly with males bettas, their constant activity stresses out the betta. Cories would be okay, but I'd highly recommend dwarf cories, as the larger ones can easily out grow a ten gallon and will rather quickly, as they can occasionally grow to 4 inches.

Last edited by lilyrazen; 07-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

Well, any suggestions as to what could go for mid level? I haven't done a lot of research just yet - which is partially what this thread is for. I'll have to find out if any of the Petsmart/co's around here carry any dwarf cories. What school size would be recommended?
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #4 
lilyrazen

With dwarves, you can start at 5, and if you have just them and a betta, you can go up to 8 or 9, and it's even easier to have a high number like that with live plants.

If you feel you need something mod level, you'd reduce the dwarf cories to a solid five, and find a fish that would be able to thrive in a small group, because with two small species and a betta, the tank would begin to be overstocked.

I personally don't know any fish that could be a candidate, but other members might.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You can't have both... Either bottom dwellers or mid dwellers. 10 gallons is a really small space to work with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 
MSG

I've NEVER seen dwarf cories in a store before. You may be referring to a otocinclus catfish instead aka the oto cat.

• The few stores that I know that may carry real "Dwarf Cories" probably sell them for about $4-$6 each.

I doubt you want to spend that much on a fish that a KING may eat.

You might as well just buy yourself a larger tank if you're going to spend $30.
  • Also from what I know about otos, they are very touch & go. Somewhat sensitive to water changes and other ammonia, nitrate spikes. If there's an issue with the way, say bye bye

When I had otos, they generally keep themselves well hidden which kinda sucks because you rarely see them. Makes it hard to keep track if they're still alive.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't all cories go for $4-6 anyways? I got my pygmies for $2.50 when I had them.
Specialty fish shops should have em. Depending on where you are though, fish are really scarce in general right now. It's too hot to ship delicate fish at the moment in most places unless you have a refrigerated truck, which a lot of small fish shops can't afford to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Don't all cories go for $4-6 anyways? I got my pygmies for $2.50 when I had them.
Specialty fish shops should have em. Depending on where you are though, fish are really scarce in general right now. It's too hot to ship delicate fish at the moment in most places unless you have a refrigerated truck, which a lot of small fish shops can't afford to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
what about fish that like hot weather? Or is it too hot for any fish?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 
TuckerLove

Off topic, but with what Olympia said, the locally owned pet stores around me have signs up about hot weather and fish transportation, but I think the bigger chain stores dont have that problem, or at least around here.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerLove View Post
Off topic, but with what Olympia said, the locally owned pet stores around me have signs up about hot weather and fish transportation, but I think the bigger chain stores dont have that problem, or at least around here.
I don't think it's off topic...It has to do with a fish they will be looking for...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote