Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #21 
Twilight Storm

I have a divider I got from Petco it has sturdy forum blue (not attractive imo in my tank, but I like it in this forum) sides and smaller report binder sized sides for the top and bottom. The one I got is made to fit a 10 gallon aquarium.

What I did is I took the aquarium sealant and put a total of 8 blobs of it up at the top and bottom under the black rim of the tank to hold it in place. It never failed me and it didn't bow. However I didn't get really any water circulation through the divider because the holes they punch in it are so tiny.

Also just be aware one side of the divider I got is sharp, so if one of your fish likes to rub on the divider to try to see/get at the other one turn the soft side to that fish so he doesn't get hurt.

I have seen dividers with nice looking black plastic sides but I don't know what brand they are, or if they are better then the one I got.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #22 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
I have a divider I got from Petco it has sturdy forum blue (not attractive imo in my tank, but I like it in this forum) sides and smaller report binder sized sides for the top and bottom. The one I got is made to fit a 10 gallon aquarium.

What I did is I took the aquarium sealant and put a total of 8 blobs of it up at the top and bottom under the black rim of the tank to hold it in place. It never failed me and it didn't bow. However I didn't get really any water circulation through the divider because the holes they punch in it are so tiny.

Also just be aware one side of the divider I got is sharp, so if one of your fish likes to rub on the divider to try to see/get at the other one turn the soft side to that fish so he doesn't get hurt.

I have seen dividers with nice looking black plastic sides but I don't know what brand they are, or if they are better then the one I got.
thanks for letting me know! this is one of the dividers i'm considering... guess i need to find out more and weight my odds
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #23 
MSG

Take a picture of the divider you made.

I wouldn't TOTALLY scrap it, but I would try to make some adjustments & reinforce the area that opened up.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #24 
GhostFeather

Scraping the silicone off can be a pain!!!
The ones I have seen at our local Petstores run around $14.00,if you only want 1 or 2 that is not bad,that is why I did mine myself.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #25 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Take a picture of the divider you made.

I wouldn't TOTALLY scrap it, but I would try to make some adjustments & reinforce the area that opened up.
+1 there has to have been a fault with yours, otherwise this would've happened to a lot of people. Tons of people have these homemade dividers.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #26 
katrina89

I know, Like i said...I'm not that crafty... so i ordered Lee's aquarium divider last night on amazon for 8 + shipping.. so about 14.. its worth it knowing that my babies will be safe...hey its good for most to make it and i tried... but im not gonna risk it again... heres a pick of the old divider
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #27 
teeneythebetta

Yep, as long as there safe that's all that matters :)

P.s. I notice his name is crimson ;) Haha... Did your hubby change his mind about the name? :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #28 
Shadyr

If it opened up at the side, it might just not have been quite wide enough. The one I made is almost 1/4" too wide, so it's got a pretty noticable bow in when I put it in. (I do not have a frame piece on the bottom, just the sides, to allow it to keep its tension) It's also got about half an inch of sand supporting it at the bottom, and it touches the lid at the top. I actually had to trim the top a bit after I initially put it in. I'm not using any sealant either.

Dunno that it makes a difference in terms of how well they hold on to the craft mesh, the folder binders felt flimsy to me. I got clip on poster "frame" pieces - same idea, but sturdier. I wish I could find a link for you, but my Google-Fu is failing to come up with the right combo of keywords and searching Michael's website for a specific thing is an exercise in futility! I had to ask one of the Michael's employees about them, and they took me to a little endcap where some were hanging.

I'm glad your fish were both OK! And don't beat yourself up on this, it was your first attempt at doing it, right?

As a couple of others have said, don't scrap the whole thing! Most of the things you'd buy are not going to be any better from what I understand. I admit I didn't even look, cause my tank is not the standard shape.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #29 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yep, as long as there safe that's all that matters :)

P.s. I notice his name is crimson ;) Haha... Did your hubby change his mind about the name? :)
yup! I told him the name and he was like "Oo nice like blood" and im like "no like the rose" and he was like" its a cooler name u should change it and i can think its blood, which is cooler, and u can think its a rose" lol so yea its crimson now haha
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #30 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
If it opened up at the side, it might just not have been quite wide enough. The one I made is almost 1/4" too wide, so it's got a pretty noticable bow in when I put it in. (I do not have a frame piece on the bottom, just the sides, to allow it to keep its tension) It's also got about half an inch of sand supporting it at the bottom, and it touches the lid at the top. I actually had to trim the top a bit after I initially put it in. I'm not using any sealant either.

Dunno that it makes a difference in terms of how well they hold on to the craft mesh, the folder binders felt flimsy to me. I got clip on poster "frame" pieces - same idea, but sturdier. I wish I could find a link for you, but my Google-Fu is failing to come up with the right combo of keywords and searching Michael's website for a specific thing is an exercise in futility! I had to ask one of the Michael's employees about them, and they took me to a little endcap where some were hanging.

I'm glad your fish were both OK! And don't beat yourself up on this, it was your first attempt at doing it, right?

As a couple of others have said, don't scrap the whole thing! Most of the things you'd buy are not going to be any better from what I understand. I admit I didn't even look, cause my tank is not the standard shape.
the only diff between your divider and mine was that i didnt have the clips holding it to the edge... it was high enough to touch the top of the hood so i thought it would hold it in place... i figure atleast when i buy this... itll have the clips and if it breaks i can put some black craft mesh in the slides and not have to buy another one :) and its ok im not beating myself up over it... the guys are safe lol and it tells me alot about crimsons personality... he cornered sea biscuit and wasnt even flaring... what a bully... sea biscuit just sat there cowering... he is stoked to have the whole tank to himself again... i just cant make one myself again bec god forbid it happens again poor sea biscuit is such an angel he wont fight and he will for sure be the one who gets injured or dies :/ and i love him too much to risk it