Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 
toad

Angry Walmart!

I needed to put gas in my car today, and the gas station I go to is conveniently only a few seconds away from Wally World. So, I figured I'd stop in and see how the bettas were doing after I complained 4 or 5 times last week, and ended up taking one of them home with me on Thursday out of fear that he would die (Percy ).

Well, I made my way to the fish section only to find the same two little girls sitting in the same water I complained about last week I know it's the same water, because there were patches of filth on the bottom of the cup last week that were even thicker and darker today. Some of the fish had been purchased, and the males were in dirty water also, but not quite ~as~ dirty.

5 times! 5 times I complained, nicely

Today, I was so upset, I took that disgusting little cup and went out to the garden department to ask for a manager. I was shaking like a leaf and close to tears (so much for composure and professionalism on my part ). The 3 women that I talked to there rolled their eyes at me, and told me the pet department woman had gone to lunch. I suggested that they call someone else for me to speak to.

They paged a lady who decided to tell me to "hold on a minute" because she wanted to show someone to the vitamin section. Once she found the time to come back and help me, I told her how I'd complained about these same fish 5 times already, and written to corporate about it. She didn't say one word to me the entire time. She cleaned the 2 cups holding the females, while I stood there and watched her, and then walked away with out a word. I even thanked her for her time

I would like to think that I have enough basic intelligence to explain an issue without crying and shaking like I'm withdrawing from narcotics. Apparently, not. I was thrilled to discover a survey on the top of my receipt - I needed thermometers for the boys, and they're so much cheaper there (bad, I know) - and I will sure be telling them all about my "shopping experience".

I'm super close to going back for that little girl No one wants to buy her because she's tiny and almost colorless (she's cute; she's pink with little red fins - I think). The other girl has been reduced to sitting at the bottom of the cup not moving; I thought she was dead.

Here's a little Kodak moment from last week -

Today, those filth splotches on the bottom of the cup were huge and almost black.

toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #2 
registereduser

I hate to say this but people who do what you do and act emotionally are labeled as animal rights freaks. It's just a fact. Unless the workers care about animals as much as we do things will not improve because there are no laws about these things.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying and caring so
and
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I hate to say this but people who do what you do and act emotionally are labeled as animal rights freaks. It's just a fact. Unless the workers care about animals as much as we do things will not improve because there are no laws about these things.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying and caring so
and
Thank you, Registered! I don't mind being a freak, but I wish I could use the freakiness to change some things.

As my roommate said, you shouldn't be able to buy a bike and a fish in the same store.

I'm super conflicted about leaving that fishy there - I know no one will want her because she's so small and colorless. If I leave her there, she'll probably die in that cup and be thrown away after a life of suffering; but if I take her home, they'll just replace her.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
but if I take her home, they'll just replace her.
EXACTLY

They probably won't give her to you for free, either
especially since they "know" you.

Maybe send in a friend and have your friend
try to convince them to give her away.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #5 
CharStarr

I like what your roommate said about you shouldn't be able to sell a bike and a fish in the same store, it's so true. You want CSRs to KNOW what they are talking about and care about the fish but they don't, heck the Wal Marts here in Canada you literally have to CHASE down a CSR to get assistance with anything. Though I will tell all of you happily that all the Wal Marts I frequent have stopped selling fish and have been fish free for some time now. I commend you for sticking up for those bettas who need a voice to speak up for them, there should be more people like you out there and letting them know what they are doing IS NOT OKAY. So yay!!
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #6 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
Though I will tell all of you happily that all the Wal Marts I frequent have stopped selling fish and have been fish free for some time now.
2 out of the 3 local Wallyworld stores near me no longer sell live fish. I wonder how many of all WM's still sell fish?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 
toad

Thanks, guys :)

I hope that this Walmart will stop selling animals altogether; if a company is too lazy or inept to train its employees to care for the animals properly, they shouldn't be selling them. The display sign for the bettas has "mandatory item for all stores" printed on it, where the price sticker would go. It must be an old sign, and I seriously hope they will do away with selling live animals once their remodel is complete.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #8 
Twilight Storm

The Walmart close to me stopped selling fish or animals of any type after they did a remodel of the Pet section. I expect they will all stop selling them eventually. Their pet section is actually really nice now just stocked with merchandise. They don't have what i'm always looking for, but then again no pet store or pet department does lol.

I had a neighbor that went out of their way to abuse my dog. I called animal control on her and they did a bad job of investigating the matter. When I confronted the lady about it and said:

"I should throw 10 pound chunks of cement at your grand kids and hit them with a broom, and try to feed them poisoned rotten candy when I see them standing in the yard next time I see them."

(My dog never barked or did anything to her before she decided to start beating her with things. I didn't have a video camera to tape what she was doing so I couldn't prove anything to animal control! I of coarse didn't mean what I said about her grand kids, although I hope the powers that be show her what an evil lady she is when her time comes.)

She got really angry at what I said btw... Gee I wonder why?....... Having the employees repeatedly blow you off about the fish is the same thing so I can see why you got emotional. No need to feel bad about it. It sounds like you were more on the breaking point from being frustrated with uncaring people. (I liked your visual of the narcotics though!!! LOL!!!! I never thought of it that way!!! :D)

If you can take care of the little girl betta you want you should go back and get her if you can't get her out of your mind. Maybe see if the other poor little thing is still alive in the other cup. If the other betta isn't doing well maybe see the store manager, explain the situation you experienced with the employees and the fact you reported the issue a few times to get blown off each time like you were unimportant. Sadly the manager will see the fish as "just a fish" but you can make it into a bigger deal in a calm matter with how you were treated by their company. Maybe see if he will give you the dying betta too and see if he will stop ordering more for the store until they remodel since the employees lack the incentive to take proper care of their merchandise in the pet department.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I have 2 big walmarts that are literally like 5 minutes away from each other and both sell not only bettas but other fish like dragon fish, fiddler crabs, cichlids, snails, common large eaters and sharks and some corys. The bettas don't seem to last very long..not sure if they get bought or they die. I picked up a white CT girl last week from walmart as I need one to put into my soriety. I am almost 100% positive one of the girls is actually a still growing VT male.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #10 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
One Walmart near me doesn't sell them. I try not to go to Walmart because I have seen/read how they are destroying our country, destroy small business, crime rates go up in a town when a Walmart comes in .. there are so many things that I can't even name them all. BUT I am guilty of going every once in a while with someone in my family.

So I found out that one near me doesn't sell fish. The other one had 3 bettas in tanks with other fish. One was dead and suctioned to the filter. One was alive. One was on the bottom of the tank, gills still moving but about to die. I asked for the almost-dead one and the guy didn't sell him to me because he said "nope, he's bottoming, he's almost dead. He won't make it to your house".

I felt really bad and wish I took him anyway, just in case. I agree with the person who said "you shouldn't be able to buy a fish and a bike in the same store".

I also believe pet stores shouldn't overstock fish. If I notice the same fish for 2 months, you are overstocking your FISH!!!!!!!! I know they don't care because they are probably so cheap to them it really doesn't matter if a bunch die.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote