Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

My bettas are in my bedroom with no heaters, but I live down South and have no Central Air. The AC is in the dining room, and we use fans to direct air to other parts of the house. Their water is a constant 80-82 degrees. I will get heaters come winter though.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

I live in florida but we always have the house set to 74 degrees, and the water would be 72 w/o a heater.

Well now this person is just irritating me. They asked me AGAIN if bettas can be in "cold water" and they said they want a goldfish.

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #13 
Firefly85

tell them to get some wild/feeder guppies, and send them to guppies.com this is a statement directly from them.
"Temperature Range
Although guppies will live in water from 55 to 105 degrees, just like you, they prefer something a bit more moderate. The effective range for the successful keeping of guppies is from 72 to 86 degrees, with 78 to 82 degrees being the most commonly accepted."

I have personally raised guppeis and if i want a particular male to live longer then i put him in cooler water, i used to keep white cloud minnows with my special male guppys in a heaterless tank. but once again it all depends on your house temp. also guppies will develop slower in cooler water but faster in warmer or higher temps.

No better yet tell them to consider a different pet, or how about a virtual aquarium. lol

sry it just seem like so many people who start the fish keeping hobby don't realize its not just fish in a bowl. and it also requires work. heck all pets require time and proper care.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #14 
Fabian

Quote:
Yes i know.

Quote:
Haha! I can image so when you're in a tropical climate.
Haha,i love it here.My spawns usually grow outside.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #15 
teeneythebetta

They want to know what size tank they need for how many guppies.. Thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #16 
Firefly85

a ten gal is a great size, and if they don't want to worry about tons of baby guppies then just get some pretty males, they won' really fight if here are no females present. other wise it is standard 1 male to 2 females.
i woudl say only 2 trios but they would have to remove fry, or 6-8 males if that is the only fish in the tank.
if it is a beginner with a cycled tank.

I have kept guppies in more crowed tanks but with tons of live plants, and always did my water changes, and checked my water parameters. this was always temporary until i found homes for all the babies. We all know how unfair poor water and cramped conditions are to fish.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #17 
Anitax3x

I live in southern florida, and my room stays like 78-82 the entire year. I get cold when the room is at 72 degrees and need pants and a sweater. WHIMP! haha but some of my tanks have no heaters in my upstairs bathroom where it is constantly warm, and my fish are vibrant healthy and active. So it really depends.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
I live in southern florida, and my room stays like 78-82 the entire year. I get cold when the room is at 72 degrees and need pants and a sweater. WHIMP! haha but some of my tanks have no heaters in my upstairs bathroom where it is constantly warm, and my fish are vibrant healthy and active. So it really depends.
I am originally from New England, and was used to cold temps, not anymore! After 7 years in GA I now get cold when it hits the low 70s lol..def a wimp too! My fish love it though!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Thanks everyone for your help! I let them know about the guppies. I also told them to google "nitrogen cycle fish tank" so they can learn how to cycle a fish tank. I said "Fish are a lot more work than most people think."

They told me that their grandparents keep fish so they know a lot about fish.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #20 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Thanks everyone for your help! I let them know about the guppies. I also told them to google "nitrogen cycle fish tank" so they can learn how to cycle a fish tank. I said "Fish are a lot more work than most people think."

They told me that their grandparents keep fish so they know a lot about fish.
LOL @ the