Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #31 
Hopeseeker

I made dividers for my 10 gallon...I use airline suction cups to keep mine in place. I haven't had any problems with my 2 boys, but have bumped them while cleaning. The suction cups work great as stabilizers.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #32 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
I made dividers for my 10 gallon...I use airline suction cups to keep mine in place. I haven't had any problems with my 2 boys, but have bumped them while cleaning. The suction cups work great as stabilizers.
Thanks for mentioning that! I'm going to petco later anyway and I'm goin to pick some of those up! They sell a 6 pack for $4.50
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #33 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
thats a good idea, i think if i had clips or suction cups this wouldnt hve happened
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #34 
Hopeseeker

I, also, made my dividers where the report spines were on all 4 sides of the plastic canvas. This helps with my complete clumsiness when cleaning.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #35 
tanseattle

Below is my divider DIY. It is ugly but heavy duty. Go to Lowes buy a white trelix cap and SI Clera gel (must say aquarium safe).
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #36 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Tanseattle I don't think your divider looks so ugly. Once I wondered if I could cover the part you see of the divider with a piece of aquarium background or something that looks "plant-like" or somehow blends in to the aquarium's theme.

Ok- I have a home made divider, and 2 different brands of store bought. I do not think the store bought ones are anythign great at all. One cracked, and both were really hard to customize, and one brand has such tiny holes that there is one fish with no filter movement and one with all of it. The other one cracked in the mesh part and I had to glue it together and it's a mess. I prefer the DIY method I learned from all of you on this forum. Also, the clips that come with the kits didn't seem to work right on both my 6.6 gallon but also my regular, run-of-the-mill 10 gallon tank that those are supposedly made for. I had to take heavy duty pliers and work with them to try to change the shape so they would stay, they still moved around, and that is when I said "forget it!" and made my own with the report binders and craft mesh.

Now, you just need to think about whether to try it with suction cups or silicone. Yeah, the silicone might be a pain to scrape off . . never tried it but I have ripped off silicone from DIY "hidey hole caves" and tunnels and it comes off ok. Just make sure when you use the suction cups that you don't press them in such a way (too tight against each other on the opposite sides) that they make the divider bow and leave little spaces on the side. It almost helps to position the cups in a more "relaxed" manner. If this sounds confusing I think it will make sense when you try it. Maybe use more suction cups than I did here.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #37 
MissLyss1024

I made one with the craft mesh and report binders. I didn't seal it in the tank, the gravel holds the bottom and I cut it big enough so it would bend. I took my extra binders and cut them to the right length and put them on the lip of the tank on both sides of the divider and it holds so well! There is no movement of the binder at all.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #38 
goldfishyman

Hot glue it if you dont want it to move. Should be easier to remove than silicon.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #39 
cjconcepcion

i made one that was a little wobbly so i duct taped the top of it to the top edge of the tank..
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote