Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #1 
rubixpheonix

Tank mates for 10 gallon?

Hi there,

So I'm not really new to bettas, I've had one constantly since I was 6.
However, I've always just had them in a .8 gallon tank and just one male veil tail. It wasn't untill my last died after two and a half years, that I started really getting into it.

Anyways, I've got two 10 gallon tanks and one has 5 dividers in it, with one red/white/purple veil tail, the other has my one red halfmoon female. I have a 2.5 gallon tank for quarantine.

Please excuse me if I sound totally ignorant. :)

Anyway, I wanted to get a few other females, possibly three, and I was wondering what would be good to have in the tank with the girls to keep a good biosphere. I've had other tropicals as well. I was wondering if a snail, some bottom feeders, and schooling fish would be suitable. I'm not sure what you can house with the females, but I know they can be aggressive as well.
rubixpheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

10 gallon for females, right? Can you get at least 4? The more the less aggression. ;) You could have Dwarf Cories, Shrimp, Snails, Tetras, etc.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 
rubixpheonix

Yes I have a ten gallon for the girls.
I was thinking around four, I've just got one girl in there and a mystery snail, the substrate is gravel and there's a few plants planted and some fake ones, then silly me has to have a shark with an open mouth. :)

But thank you so much. I was thinking about getting some shrimp and tetras to add.
rubixpheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #4 
cambo2

Can catfish work in a tank with just 1 male Betta?
cambo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo2 View Post
Can catfish work in a tank with just 1 male Betta?
I am curious on that too. I have a male betta in a 36 gallon all alone. I was thinking of adding a synodontis eupterus. I had one a few years back. He reached 28 years of age.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

You do know that you can post a thread whenever you have an important question, right? And it depends on what catfish. Corydoras can be in a 10 gallon. Pygmies or Dwarfs will do. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #7 
battered

I was under the impression that synodontis catfish usually went in tanks with african cichlids and that they could get pretty territorial/aggressive. Also, because they come from the same areas as african cichlids, they prefer water conditions that aren't really compatible with what bettas prefer. I'd stick with smaller catfish-type fish like cories.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I have some platys and neon tetras with my betta.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #9 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by battered View Post
I was under the impression that synodontis catfish usually went in tanks with african cichlids and that they could get pretty territorial/aggressive. Also, because they come from the same areas as african cichlids, they prefer water conditions that aren't really compatible with what bettas prefer. I'd stick with smaller catfish-type fish like cories.
I had mine in the following setups:

Setup one: a pair of mollies, a pair of swordtailfish (the male bred with the femail molies), 4 guppies, a school of silver dollars, 3 angel fish, a clown loach (didnt knew he was schooling at the time)a silver shark and a platy.
It lasted about 4-6 years, dont remember exactly.
After said years he was the only one left. So i changed into this setup:

3 oscar, 4 silver dollars (one remained because the oscar ate them) one platy (disappeared) one cory (disappeared also didnt knew it was schooling) one black red tail shark, and one yellow parrot fish.

The only aggressors seemed to be the oscar and the parrot which along side the synodontis were lived for about a decade.
After they expired i left him alone in the tank till he died 3 years ago after reaching 28 years of age (yep he was older than me!). He was around 17 cm long.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text but it brings me to my point: He didnt attack anything (i presume he killed and possibly ate the bottom feeders though) so i think it can live with a betta as long as he doesnt interfere with the bottom. Thoughts?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote