Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #1 
a_mal5050

betta question ?

[color=lime]question?? i have a male betta and a female betta. The male betta has been making bubbles for a while , but this afternoon we noticed that their is something in the tank. It looks like alote of little white things, that are stuck to the glass of the tank.......?? Dose anybody know what they are
a_mal5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #2 
Dtld9

they could be numerous things, they usually come from substrate not being cleaned good enough. I have this problem all the time I believe they are all harmless. I've gotten worms and trilocops(or something like that) and neither bother the fish at all, though I've witnessed my puffers eating them lol.
Dtld9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Probably planaria. Harmless.

You have the male and female in the same tank? Not a good idea and they won't breed if they live together anyways.

Welcome to the forum :)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #4 
Meatpuppet

welcome!
things like water fleas, copepods, planaria, aquatic white worms, can be found in a tank most of them are harmless.

Little round dots swimming in irradic patterns - copepods
Tiny looking worms that inch along the glass - planaria.
Little white worms you find in the substrate 1/2 inbch or so - aquatic white worms.
Little dot things that seem to swim in circles and you can see different body parts- water fleas.

usally little creatures would hich hike to other tanks from the petstore when you buy new live plants. this happened to me with snails. Did ya buy new live plants anytime soon?
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #5 
briggadane

Bettas/babies?

It is a possability they are fry. DO NOTclean them off the tank. If it is fry they wil be free swimming soon. You must remove the female NOW if they are fry. She will start to eat them when they swim. The male will have to moved when they start to swim, for the same reason. As long as they are attached to the glass and nest, he will take care of them.

If you have a filter, turnit off.

If its not fry, you will know in about 3 days and can return everything to normal. If you can get a good look at the little thingswhen they swim, you will know they are fry. But they are really tiny.
briggadane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #6 
okiemavis

Well, if it was fry they would not be stuck to the glass. Bettas are good fathers and will spit any eggs back into his bubble nest as soon as they fall out. Also, please don't turn off the filter. You can put a sponge or something like that over the intake if you are worried, but an unfiltered tank will cause problems quickly.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #7 
briggadane

betta fry

This is absolutely not true. My current batch is freeswimming. They love to adhere to the glass. Dad is no longer with them. He was not carfing for them, it was his first time as a dad. There ARE exceptions. PLEASE dont throw the babes out with the bath water.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #8 
missfish1996

[quote="Flashygrrl"]Probably planaria. Harmless.

You have the male and female in the same tank? Not a good idea and they won't breed if they live together anyways.

They won't? Weird..
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #9 
briggadane

Bettas

Hey, its been a week...was it fry or something else?

Would love an update :^)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #10 
okiemavis

[quote="missfish1996"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
Probably planaria. Harmless.

They won't? Weird..
Bettas aren't used to seeing females often in the wild. Seeing other bettas often indicates a large population, and therefore more competition for food, which means breeding will just further create competition. Also, males will attack females, which leaves them in no state to mate. Both the male and the female must be ready to mate, otherwise just violence ensues.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote