Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #1 
Maura

Help me decorate my 20 long!

I'm getting a new 20 long today. It will be divided into 3 sections for my 3 boys.

Ideas for decorating?
  • substrate
  • plants: live or fake
  • decorations
  • anything else?
Things that have to be in there:
  • 2 dividers to make 3 sections (6.66 gallons for each fish)
  • HOB filter
  • airstone
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 
JBosley

Use small black gravel! Or white. I love the black stuff I have for my 3 gallon I also vote for live plants! Again, got some for my 3 gallon and it looks amazing I can't get over how awesome live plants look. For decorations 2 of my boys ADORE their floating Betta logs, and they also have terracotta pots for hidey caves, which I think look great
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 
Meggie6347

If I was dividing one, I would glue a solid divider in place, then cover it in mesh and make a moss wall...so you would have a moss divider! Much easier on the eyes I'd think...and it would be a fun project

Of it were me, I'd do sand, driftwood, lots of live plants... post pictures when you're done with it! I think we all want to see
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
Maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie6347 View Post
If I was dividing one, I would glue a solid divider in place, then cover it in mesh and make a moss wall...so you would have a moss divider! Much easier on the eyes I'd think...and it would be a fun project

Of it were me, I'd do sand, driftwood, lots of live plants... post pictures when you're done with it! I think we all want to see
Ooh, that's a good idea. I think my dividers are going to be just mesh though because I don't want to have 3 filters running in the same tank (helllllo electrical bill). Do you think I'd be able to do the moss divider idea without having a solid divider under the mesh one?

I'll definitely put pictures up when it's all done!
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #5 
Catie79

I did the moss divider with mesh and it was actually pretty darn easy to set up. Just took pinches of moss and secured with some cotton thread. I basically sewed it onto the mesh, easy peasy.

Unfortunately my moss croaked due to being exposed to over 100 degree temperatures during shipping. Darn heat wave. But it looked very nice otherwise!
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 
MSG

Most HOB type filters only use 5-25 watts of electricity. The thing that uses the most power in a fish tank is the HEATER.

I'll tell you how much power mine uses after I eat my 4 grilled sandwiches & watch my show.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote