Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #1 
kngiraffe

Exclamation Help! I dont know what the heck is going on/happened?!

Iím freaking the f out right now. So, I put Flame from a 2.5 gallon tank for the last year and a few months into a 5 gallon tank last night and he was happy and stuff. Well today I let his bubblier run like I normally used too. Well, when I came home I could see through his top fin sorta. Like I can when I change his tank when heís mad at me. So, I turned the bubblier off and **** what have you. Heís been swimming around all happy and stuff ever since I took that out. He went into his cave and i tapped on the glass and he came back out and his fins were fine. maybe 30 minutes past and I tapped on the glasss just now and he came out and his back fin is like all ripped in different places. Itís not like he had fin rot because itís not black like it was before. His fin was just finally starting to look good too after having fin rot. IDK WTF TO DO!! Iím freaking out. Heís swimming around and all happy and such. But idk what happened to his fin in a matter of 30 minutes! Suggestions?!

In the one picture you can see what his fin looked like last night. And the other one, what it looks like now.!!! ))':

Also, he's eating and he's still his normal color. I put aquarium salt in there not to long ago. It's all fresh water too, put it all in last night.
Attached Images

kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Could he have gotten himself stuck under something or snagged his tail on something?

Also, if you can still edit this post. I'd prolly remove the obscenities. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #3 
djembekah

yeah see if there is anything he could tear his fins on! that's the first thing i'd do.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #4 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
Could he have gotten himself stuck under something or snagged his tail on something?

Also, if you can still edit this post. I'd prolly remove the obscenities. :)
no made sure everything that i have ever bought for him was smooth and the right stuff for bettas. he went into his cave that he's had for over a year and then came out looking like that. idk if maybe stressed caused it or if he was nipping ): idk what it is but either way i'm worried.

sorry :\ i can't.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #5 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
yeah see if there is anything he could tear his fins on! that's the first thing i'd do.
i know there is nothing. someone told me it could be fin nipping so i moved some of his plants around. the only thing he has that kind of concerns me is his betta hammock but that's designed for them so idk.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Are they splits, holes, or do they a little c-shaped on the ends?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #7 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
Are they splits, holes, or do they a little c-shaped on the ends?
splits and holes. and maybe one or two looked like c's. he doesn't stay still longer enough for me to look
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Do a test on the decorations. If pantyhose rips while you rub it on the decoration, it can snag your Bettas fins. To me, it looks like tail biting, but who knows. Do you still have that 2.5 gallon? You can use it as QT. Use 1 tsp. per gallon. Do daily 100% water changes and don't use the salt more than 10 days. Don't start the treatment unless you know the problem. If he's tail biting, he can keep doing that when he's in QT. The main reasons for tail biting is stress and boredom. Hope he gets better!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #9 
xjenuhfur

split & holes can be from decor or over-flaring. C-shapes are tail-biting.
Do like Lebron said && test all your decor. Remove anything that snags the pantyhose.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #10 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Do a test on the decorations. If pantyhose rips while you rub it on the decoration, it can snag your Bettas fins. To me, it looks like tail biting, but who knows. Do you still have that 2.5 gallon? You can use it as QT. Use 1 tsp. per gallon. Do daily 100% water changes and don't use the salt more than 10 days. Don't start the treatment unless you know the problem. If he's tail biting, he can keep doing that when he's in QT. The main reasons for tail biting is stress and boredom. Hope he gets better!
all my plants are silk plants or designed for bettas and the cave isn't sharp at all. we made sure it was smooth inside and out. BUT I do have dark blue curtains that were behind the glass today so I don't know maybe he was flaring today and I wasn't aware since I wasn't here. he's happy and swimming arouind and such. eating like a pig its just his fin isn't pretty right now ):

Tags
disease, fin, sickness, stress