Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 
fairy74

Is this ok?

So i think ive decided what i would like for my 30 gallon tank and wanted to run it by someone more experienced.

3 albino cories.
3 bronze cories.
6 female bettas(4 will be moving from my smaller tank and i shall buy 2 more to make the 6)
I really wanted another shoal of fish so was thinking either 5 platies or could i have say 3 platies and 3 of another compatible kind(mollies or neons).

Ive read the albino and bronze would be fine together as they are the same species.

I want to get this right so would love any input.
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
MSG

What kind of substrate do you plan on using? Even with the eco-complete, my cories have no whiskers now. The remaining one has been transferred to my guppy tank where there's NO substrate whatsoever.

• If you're going to get platies, get 3 of them. 2 females, 1 male. You'll have 6 in no time if the fry don't get eaten.

But I think bettas would think of platy fry as little orange French fries.

• Mollies need some salt at all times in their water or eventually they will get sick and perish.
  • Neons need to be in groups of 6 or more.
  • Cories need hiding spots & need to be in groups of 6 or more. You could mix 3 bronze, 3 white.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #3 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
What kind of substrate do you plan on using? Even with the eco-complete, my cories have no whiskers now. The remaining one has been transferred to my guppy tank where there's NO substrate whatsoever.

• If you're going to get platies, get 3 of them. 2 females, 1 male. You'll have 6 in no time if the fry don't get eaten.

But I think bettas would think of platy fry as little orange French fries.

• Mollies need some salt at all times in their water or eventually they will get sick and perish.
  • Neons need to be in groups of 6 or more.
  • Cories need hiding spots & need to be in groups of 6 or more. You could mix 3 bronze, 3 white.
Thanks for your reply.
The tank is already cycling and has sand substrate,i really dont want platy babies anyway lol(had a tank once before that was over run with guppy babies).
Might not get mollies then..is there any other species that you could recommend that is quite hardy and fun to watch?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #4 
MSG

I think your female bettas would be enough entertainment. All you have to do is bring the wrong girl home and then there will be non stop fighting.

The ones in my sorority are still kinda fighting.

Gotta feed them now & finally do some sort of water change later.

Any fish you introduce may not like your betta & vice versa.

So try to buy fish from a store that will let you return them if something doesn't work out.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #5 
fairy74

This may sound silly but if i move my 4 female bettas from my smaller tank to the larger would it be like they have just met and the fight for dominance begins again?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #6 
MSG

I'm not 100% sure, but your tank is large enough, I doubt there will be that much fighting. I'm going to do the same thing a month from now.

They're currently not 100% cool with one another.

Check out the sorority tank thread. I have some pictures of what happened to my girls.