Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 
underdebate

Do sororities have 'omegas' too?

This is just a general curiosity question. I currently have a sorority with nine girls, and all of them have been getting along splendidly since I first introduced them-- I've had barely any fighting and the worst it's amounted to is the occasional fin-nip. The tank seems to have TWO alphas currently, with one being slightly more dominant than the other, but they don't fight and all the girls seem to respect them equally.

However, out of the nine, I've noticed there's one girl who seems to be the 'omega'. At feeding time, everyone come happily to the surface to eat, and out of the entire group she's the only one who hangs back-- I have to distract everyone else and then slip some food into the back of the tank for her before anyone else notices. She's extremely shy and seems to be the most beat-up of the group. (Although, to clarify, that still only amounts to minor fin damage-- she's still perfectly healthy.)

I'm debating removing her just so she can have a nice, comfortable home away from the bullies. However, I don't know whether that would disrupt the tank's hierarchy-- they all get along remarkably well for a sorority, but if I removed her, would they simply start beating up on someone else?
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 
shellieca

How long have all of the girls been together? I have 3 females in a 46g and am thinking of adding a couple more. IME with my 3, there is a definite heirarchy. 2 of the girls were together in a 10g from day, the 3rd joined them a few weeks ago when I moved them all into th 46g. The 1st few days to week were rough for Violet because my biggest girl Rosie was almost relentless in chasing her. I think if you're not seeing anything major and she doesn't seem to be stressed all of the time I'd let things be. I can tell when Violet is stressed because she goes from dark blue/purple to pretty much white, this doesn't happen often anymore. But if it makes you feel better, give her a kingdom all of her own, I'm sure she'd love that.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
How long have all of the girls been together? I have 3 females in a 46g and am thinking of adding a couple more. IME with my 3, there is a definite heirarchy. 2 of the girls were together in a 10g from day, the 3rd joined them a few weeks ago when I moved them all into th 46g. The 1st few days to week were rough for Violet because my biggest girl Rosie was almost relentless in chasing her. I think if you're not seeing anything major and she doesn't seem to be stressed all of the time I'd let things be. I can tell when Violet is stressed because she goes from dark blue/purple to pretty much white, this doesn't happen often anymore. But if it makes you feel better, give her a kingdom all of her own, I'm sure she'd love that.
Yeah I'd definitely get more girls... Usually 3 girls doesn't work out because two gang up on the third.. And two usually don't work because they kill each other...
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 
Silverfang

there is often and omega Under. Right now I don't have a clear omega in my sorority, but I know the two I have to sprinkle the pellets a bit closer to. It's normal. As long as she is getting food, and isn't getting too stressed, nothing to worry about IME.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yeah I'd definitely get more girls... Usually 3 girls doesn't work out because two gang up on the third.. And two usually don't work because they kill each other...
So far I'm not having 2 gang up on one, Violet chases Ruby and Rosie chases Violet but only occasionally now, its been about 3 wks now they've all been together in the 46g. I'd like to get a few more females but am a little leary of messing up the flow of what I currently have because I know they'll go through the whole establishing territory & heirarchy again. So we'll see.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
So far I'm not having 2 gang up on one, Violet chases Ruby and Rosie chases Violet but only occasionally now, its been about 3 wks now they've all been together in the 46g. I'd like to get a few more females but am a little leary of messing up the flow of what I currently have because I know they'll go through the whole establishing territory & heirarchy again. So we'll see.
It would actually help to get more girls. More girls spreads out the aggression, making it more peaceful. Especially in a 46 gal, WOW! you could have a LOT of girls in there! Only downside is they should be quarantined for 2 weeks before going in to the sorority. You could easily have 15 girls in there, or more.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote