Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #1 
morganville

Need some help with 2 bettas

Hey there,

first off I'd like to sadly say that one of my 4 betta's has died unexpectedly while I was on a trip. R.I.P. Musta. My parents say he was swimming around fine just before I got home but... yeah... I don't want anything else to happen to my betta's, so I need some help.

A while ago I posted about one half-moon betta having what I thought was fin rot and so I ended up treating him with that blue antibacterial stuff for water. He seems to be doing better though it was only yesterday I got him to eat a single tiny bloodworm after not seeing him eat for almost a week. I'm still trying to cycle out the blue water now but he is still sitting lethargic on the bottom most of the time and when he does swim around he never flares, even at my other betta's who present at him. There is nothing but gravel in his tank currently because the medicine suggests not to have plants in with it. I do have a moss ball sitting around from the betta below so should he get it once the water is clear? (Also the ball is not directly from the other tank, it has been taken out as of a few weeks ago as it was turning brown and is currently in it's own clear water jar soaking up the sunlight)

My first and oldest betta (1 year) has recently turned transparent on his body. I can see his chest and his fecal trail all the way to his tail. (He is a very light pink betta with tinted fins) He is in a filtered tank with two plants that I've recently put next to a window for sunlight as the plants were turning brown. The plants seem to be doing better and not dying but I want to make sure my betta is okay.

Thanks
morganville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #2 
shellieca

Sorry your Bettas are sick. What kind of tanks do you have them in, size, filtration? How often are you doing water changes and how much water? How old are your tank(s), are they cycled properly? From my experience the absolute best thing is to make sure they are in the proper sized home and do water changes. I had a female Betta in a 1g bowl, she developed some kind of sore on her back that got worse very quickly to where she had a CHUNK missing out of her back and 1/2 her dorsal fin was gone. I moved her to to a 10g tank with a filter and did daily water changes, NO meds. Now a month later you'd never know she had anything wrong with her. I know many people will disagree, but Bettas need at least a 5g tank with good filtration and the appropriate water changes. Good, healthy water is typically the best medicine IME. Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte? If so are your water parameters safe? Hope your Bettas get well soo.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 
morganville

clear body example

he just stares at the food and never eats it
morganville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 
shellieca

I don't know about turning transluscent, one of my Males, Simon is a pink color and when the light hits him just righ he appears transluscent as well. I had a yellow Male that would NEVER eat from the time I brought him home & eventually died. Now I've others who wouldn't eat the pellets until I crushed them up into smaller pieces, I have two that WON'T eat anything freeze dried. Keep in mind they go long periods of time without eating. Try offering different foods if you can, try something smaller. Bettas can be finicky eaters. Most importantly make sure you are keeping them in healthy water that can make a big difference.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fins, lethargic, sick, transparent