Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 
xfeejayx

What filter for a 40 gallon?

Excited to say I just picked up a 40 gallon (used) tank last night! It will start off with Baloo the betta, 2 glofish, and 6 neon tetras.

It came with 4 Penguin 550 power heads, but without the under gravel part. I figure I'm better off getting a power filter than the remaining parts of the undergravel filter since Baloo would prefer less flow anyway.

So the question is, what filter do you suggest for a 40 gallon tank? I'd like something that is really quiet. Aside from that, I'm totally open to suggestions.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #2 
mkayum

Try Aqueon, http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11127577

it cleans really good. Be sure to get it in 50 or 55/75 gallon filter. You can baffle it with a piece of plastic soda.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

or you could order a few sponge filters. here's a link to this website http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

Hope this helps.
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 
xfeejayx

Sure does help. Why the need for an oversized filter?

If I got the sponge filter is there a way to add a carbon filter to it also?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 
xfeejayx

still looking for some input here. Hope to get a filter within the next few days.

Did some research on foam filters, seems they're loud. And I'm not sure what makes water go through them. I keep hearing about hooking them up to an air pump, but how does that move water through them?

Also, is a HOB the best best for a simple effective filter (I'll baffle it)?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 
goldfishyman

Do not use carbon filters. Waste of time and money. Has been known to cause lateral line disease in many fish. Removes some trace elements that the fish need. Only use carbon filters if you have been medicating and want to clean the meds out after the cycle.

You should get a marineland biowheel filter and replace the media it uses with a sponge block.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #6 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Do not use carbon filters. Waste of time and money. Has been known to cause lateral line disease in many fish. Removes some trace elements that the fish need. Only use carbon filters if you have been medicating and want to clean the meds out after the cycle.

You should get a marineland biowheel filter and replace the media it uses with a sponge block.
woah. That's news to me. But Baloo has developed a line going the length of his body after being put in the 10 gallon with a carbon filter. Very glad you mentioned this.

I have a Tetra Whisper 10 right now that is keeping the 10g clean. Should I turn that thing off?