Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #1 
ellafishcrazy

Changing water in 2.5 and 1 gallon tanks?

So when I first got my lovely Bently about four months ago, I had him in a 1/2 gallon tank, until I did research and realized how cruel this was to my poor fish. Horrified, I changed him to a one gallon. He is now in a nice 2.5 that I got for him yesterday, but I'm not sure how often I should clean out the water. It's not filtered or heated. I also have a female in a gallon bowl-Baby Girl- and a male in a gallon bowl-Sheldon. These are not filtered or heated either. So far I clean out the gallons every half a week, a 100% change, but I'm not sure about the 2.5.
ellafishcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

I would definitely get a heater for both tanks. Bettas are tropical fish and thrive in temperatures 78-80 degrees. Being in lower temps, they are less active & more prone to illness and disease.

As for the 2.5 gal- do two water changes per week- 1- 50% change & 1- 100% change.

Personally I would try to upgrade your girl to a 2.5 gal. For now, I would do probably a change every other day for the 1 gallon. I'd do a 50% change, 50% change, 100% change and keep repeating in that pattern.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

They will need to be heated.

For 1-4 gal unfiltered tanks: 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 
ellafishcrazy

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'm hoping on upgrading Baby Girl to a 2.5, but after Sheldon, because he's a little larger. As for a heater, it was actually to hot for my fish in my room because my air conditioning recently broke, and I already live in a super hot state, so I had to move their tanks to a different room. (My room is at the top of my house, so it's super hot.) I will get a heater for them as soon as the weather cools down, though. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellafishcrazy View Post
Okay, thanks for the advice! I'm hoping on upgrading Baby Girl to a 2.5, but after Sheldon, because he's a little larger. As for a heater, it was actually to hot for my fish in my room because my air conditioning recently broke, and I already live in a super hot state, so I had to move their tanks to a different room. (My room is at the top of my house, so it's super hot.) I will get a heater for them as soon as the weather cools down, though. Thanks again for the advice!
I do 50% changes once a week with a vac on my one gallon, and a 95% on the third week with a good vac. I never do 100% unless there is an obvious problem with the tank/water, but that is just my routine. All of my fish are healthy! I also don't have heaters yet...it is hot as heck here, and my tanks are all a steady 80 degrees. I'll get the heaters come fall.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
Kenny G

The range of water temperature for betta's is between 74 - 79 degrees. It could go down to 72 degrees and betta's would still be fine. Depending on the temperature in your place you may only need a heater in the cooler seasons. Both my betta's become lethargic, barely move or eat in 78 and up degree water. Nothing is edged in stone. Each fish has his/her own threshold. Time will tell whats the best temperature for your bettas. Usually 80 - 82 degrees is used for sick fish when medication is being used to cure your fish. I would recommend a filter if you get a 2.5 gallon tank. The Marina i25 Internal Filter works great in a tank that size. Then you only need to be about 40% water changes weekly and every 3 to 4 weeks do a complete water change. For smaller unfiltered tanks I agree with finnfinnfriend regarding water changes. If you decide to get a filter for the smaller tanks I recommend the tetra whisper 3I. Its perfect for 1-1.5 gallon tanks.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #7 
ellafishcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
The range of water temperature for betta's is between 74 - 79 degrees. It could go down to 72 degrees and betta's would still be fine. Depending on the temperature in your place you may only need a heater in the cooler seasons. Both my betta's become lethargic, barely move or eat in 78 and up degree water. Nothing is edged in stone. Each fish has his/her own threshold. Time will tell whats the best temperature for your bettas. Usually 80 - 82 degrees is used for sick fish when medication is being used to cure your fish. I would recommend a filter if you get a 2.5 gallon tank. The Marina i25 Internal Filter works great in a tank that size. Then you only need to be about 40% water changes weekly and every 3 to 4 weeks do a complete water change. For smaller unfiltered tanks I agree with finnfinnfriend regarding water changes. If you decide to get a filter for the smaller tanks I recommend the tetra whisper 3I. Its perfect for 1-1.5 gallon tanks.
I was worried about getting filters for the gallon bowls because I heard that filters could be a little overwhelming for only a gallon. Is that not a problem? I also know next to nothing about filters. Like, I know that they clean the water. That is my pitiful intelligence of filters.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Most of the time, yes.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #9 
Kenny G

ellafishcrazy you can check out similar filters like this one http://www.amazon.com/LEES-PET-PRODU...S4/ref=lh_ni_t
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

What about this one?: http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter My parents bought it for my 3.5 gallon
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 gallon bowl, 2.5 gallon tank, tank cleaning