Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1 
Bubuzhao

Question Betta always get shocked

So this is currently what i have in my 1.6gal fish tank (with filter):
1) Female betta fish (plankat)
2) Broad Leaf Anubias
3) some grave

*) Got her from 2 weeks ago.

I was able to maintain the nitrite content inside the tank for 3 days after a 100% water change, maybe the plant helped a lot? However, i always find it hard to take out my betta from the tank with a fish net when im doing water changing. She always hide in her plant and try hardly to escape from the fish net, at this moment her color will start to become pale, and after i put her in another small cup ( filled with those water in the tank before water change), she will breathe in a faster rate and swimming hard against the wall of the small cup, maybe she is nervous. I will always check the temperature and make sure it is suitable before putting betta fish in it, so there may be low posibility it is a temperature shock.

I dun want to shock her every time i do water change.

Can anyone share your opinion on how you take your betta fish out from the water when you are doing water change? and without giving your fish so much shock?
Bubuzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #2 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubuzhao View Post
2) Broad Leaf Anubias
3) some grave

I was able to maintain the nitrite content inside the tank for 3 days after a 100% water change, maybe the plant helped a lot? However, i always find it hard to take out my betta from the tank with a fish net when im doing water changing. She always hide in her plant and try hardly to escape from the fish net, at this moment her color will start to become pale, and after i put her in another small cup ( filled with those water in the tank before water change), she will breathe in a faster rate and swimming hard against the wall of the small cup, maybe she is nervous. I will always check the temperature and make sure it is suitable before putting betta fish in it, so there may be low posibility it is a temperature shock.

Can anyone share your opinion on how you take your betta fish out from the water when you are doing water change? and without giving your fish so much shock?
One of my bettas turns green instead of his normal blue when i take him out of his tank to clean but the other one doesnt care at all... and then when hes back in his tank again hes fine
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #3 
lvandert

I leave mine in while I do water changes. I either siphon in as I siphon out, or I siphon about half of the water out, then siphon new water back in (I do this twice to get near a full water change)
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubuzhao View Post
2) Broad Leaf Anubias
3) some grave

I used to have Violet in a 1g aquarium & EVERY time I removed her to do a 100% water change she would go from a dark blue/purple to an almost white color. I moved her into a 10g, every time I did a water change, without removing her, the same thing would happen, she's now in a 46g & still changes color during a water change. I don't think you can completely keep them from stressing. When I used to remove her from her 1g aquarium I NEVER used a net, I would remove the plants & decos, then use her cup to catch her. Typically when you put the cup into the water at an angle low enough to fill it with water, it creates a bit of a suction and she would essentially be sucked into the cup. I used this method on all of the Bettas when I have to remove them from any tank. When they wouldn't come to the surface or close to the surface I'd remove water until I could catch them in the cup. I have one male that always refused to cooperate & I would have to outsmart him every time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #5 
Bubuzhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
One of my bettas turns green instead of his normal blue when i take him out of his tank to clean but the other one doesnt care at all... and then when hes back in his tank again hes fine
OMG , from blue to green? that sounds weird though, ya, my betta used almost one hour to be fine after the first time i do water change, but now she only used 10 mins to changed back to original color.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #6 
Bubuzhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I leave mine in while I do water changes. I either siphon in as I siphon out, or I siphon about half of the water out, then siphon new water back in (I do this twice to get near a full water change)
Thanks! i should try your method next time
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 
Shadyr

Can you get your betta to just swim into the cup? I hold the cup in the water, then tempt them to swim in with a pellet or treat. They are curious, sometimes the treat is optional. sometimes I have to dunk the cup to pull them in with the current. I've never tried to net them, I'm worried about the rays - most of my boys are crowntails.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #8 
Bubuzhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I used to have Violet in a 1g aquarium & EVERY time I removed her to do a 100% water change she would go from a dark blue/purple to an almost white color. I moved her into a 10g, every time I did a water change, without removing her, the same thing would happen, she's now in a 46g & still changes color during a water change. I don't think you can completely keep them from stressing. When I used to remove her from her 1g aquarium I NEVER used a net, I would remove the plants & decos, then use her cup to catch her. Typically when you put the cup into the water at an angle low enough to fill it with water, it creates a bit of a suction and she would essentially be sucked into the cup. I used this method on all of the Bettas when I have to remove them from any tank. When they wouldn't come to the surface or close to the surface I'd remove water until I could catch them in the cup. I have one male that always refused to cooperate & I would have to outsmart him every time.
wow, thats informative and thank you very much, i was thinking about your suction method last time but i worried that will be putting more shock to my betta. From your experience i can say that betta always get shock easily when water changing, just worrying to much stress on betta will be not good for it, but somehow i can just do it carefully to avoid more shock, planning to switch her to a bigger tank as well, that will be more easier to do water change and filter.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #9 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Can you get your betta to just swim into the cup? I hold the cup in the water, then tempt them to swim in with a pellet or treat. They are curious, sometimes the treat is optional. sometimes I have to dunk the cup to pull them in with the current. I've never tried to net them, I'm worried about the rays - most of my boys are crowntails.
+1 if you can train them to swim into the cup then its easy peasy. I find using an eye dropper with mosquito larva helps with that process. It's pretty easy for them to start associating the eye dropper with really good food and start to follow it.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #10 
Bubuzhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Tempting is a good idea! i should try it out next time, but i think she will eat the pellet off after she got into the cup. LOL , but never mind it is a good way to avoid betta from shock, worth to try! Thank you!