Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
Firefly85

New girl

So I got a new lady yesterday, I couldn't just go and pick up a light for my tank and dog food my sister bought her. she needs a name, and i have a few questions plus a couple of pics
and some info
I never had a female betta before, how long will it take for her stress stripes to disapear? she hasn't eaten for me yet im a little worried,she seems really small too maybe about an inch. she is a petco fish, so im afraid to get to attached. going to keep her quarrentied in 1 gal until i know she isn't sick. then a 2.5 gal. i hope to add her to my community tank once i upgrade after vacation, and it is cycled.
was also thinking about making a divided 5 or 10 gal, so bubbles my DT male can have company. woudl it be bad to keep a male and female side by side?

Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

The female is probably stressed from the poor conditions and moving. It will disappear when she gets more comfy and good water conditions. Bettas never get lonely. Nor do they want company. They prefer to be alone and are solitary. It's bad for them to share the same waters since they can sense each other and release pheromones. The hormones would cause them to act differently and try to meet each other. The female would get egg bound, and the male would try to jump.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

She has pretty colors...best of wishes for you and your new girl !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
The female is probably stressed from the poor conditions and moving. It will disappear when she gets more comfy and good water conditions. Bettas never get lonely. Nor do they want company. They prefer to be alone and are solitary. It's bad for them to share the same waters since they can sense each other and release pheromones. The hormones would cause them to act differently and try to meet each other. The female would get egg bound, and the male would try to jump.
Yeah everything LebronTheBetta saying is true. Recommend not to put them together.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #5 
Firefly85

yeah I know they don't need company but i was also thinking about adding more fish, but i want to save space, and cycled tanks are easier on maintenance in my opinion.i want to do this keeping the fish comfortable as well. I am not new to fish keeping by any means, I just am lacking in the beta department, hence why i joined here. I really love them.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote