Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #1 
Shadyr

Unwanted greenery!

My bookshelf tank is doing fine. The plants are doing fine. The water wisteria seems to be sprouting roots from .... everywhere. Kinda creepy actually. I did damage the yard long stem one of the leaves of the banana plant had when I moved the greens from Ghosts minibow to the bookshelf...and compounded the insult to the plant by following the wrong stem and lopping off it's new leaf when I was trying to figure out which piece of the braid the dying leaf was on....

Ghost really seems to like his new digs, he's got a little more room and it feels bigger even though he's only in a slightly larger area (I divided the tank, tankmate will probably be added this weekend)

So my only problem so far is the unwanted greenery...namely some stringy green algae, that has started growing :( I tend to leave the tank light on past dark, would keeping the light off during the day, and only on limited hours at night help here?

I'm trying to find out if I can get a couple of small trumpet snails since it's a sand tank, but in the meantime, just wondering if there are some other suggestions to keep the wrong kind of greens in check!

Here's Ghost resting on his sword plant.

Name:  ghostresting1280.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  54.3 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 
Sundancex

I've heard overdosing with Excel can stop an algae bloom. If you have any moss balls you might want to take them out though as apparently they are actually algae and could be killed by the Excel dosage.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 
vilmarisv

Love this picture of Ghost guarding his bubble nest in the back.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #4 
Shadyr

Oh he's very pleased with his nest He is an on and off builder, unlike Chicory, who apparently feels his tank is not complete without a nest.

I ended up ordering a few nerite snails from an ebay seller. I'll give one to Chicory, two for the bookshelf tank...and we'll see on the 4th since it was a lot of 4.

I borrowed the ramshorn snail from the frogs' tank and put him to work in the bookshelf tank for now. It was funny to look later and see the tracks he made through the little swatch of algae on the wall of the tank.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote