Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 
JaysuzGawd

Filter

So, I have a Tetra Internal Whisper Filter in a 5-gallon tank.
And my question is, since it's not a sponge filter, how would I go about changing the filter cartridges without messing with the cycle?

Should I just go get a sponge filter instead or..?

Last edited by JaysuzGawd; 07-26-2012 at 03:47 PM.
JaysuzGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

If the cartridge is not falling apart, you don't need to replace it. If it is really dirty, then swish it in a bucket of old tank water. If it is falling apart and you do need to replace it, take the old cartridge and leave it in the tank for a week after you put the new one in. If you are worried about your fish nipping at it, try and squeeze it in the filter with the new one.

Hope this helped!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
If the cartridge is not falling apart, you don't need to replace it. If it is really dirty, then swish it in a bucket of old tank water. If it is falling apart and you do need to replace it, take the old cartridge and leave it in the tank for a week after you put the new one in. If you are worried about your fish nipping at it, try and squeeze it in the filter with the new one.

Hope this helped!
FinnFinn is absolutely correct. I learned that the hard way lol
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 
cjconcepcion

well a 5 gallon tank is big enough to maintain a cycle even without the filter, as the beneficial bacteria will build up in the gravel, see how theres two cartridges inside the filter? one is the white/gray bag and then theres just this foam thing? only clean one of those things at a time, either the filter cartridge (the bag with charcoal in it), or the biofilter (the foam thing, which you just rinse)
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

this kind of filter cartidge needs replacing every month as well because it has activated carbon in it
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
FinnFinn is absolutely correct. I learned that the hard way lol
lol so did I...back when I thought you were supposed to change the filter cartridge every month XD
Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
this kind of filter cartidge needs replacing every month as well because it has activated carbon in it
Activated carbon is kind of gimmicky and not really needed. The important thing is that the BB grow in there.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #8 
cjconcepcion

what did you guys do about the carbon? did you not replace it? when i had my tetra whisper filter i would rinse the old bag and just fill it up with new carbon, but they dont make it anymore and the thing is over ten years old so i had to replace it, now they only make those disposable bio bag things that you have to replace cause you cant refill them
Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 
cjconcepcion

i have a bio filter in there as well haha, and i only have the tetra whisper in my 10 gallon so im sure theres enough BB in the gravel and such
Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 
cjconcepcion

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Activated carbon is kind of gimmicky and not really needed. The important thing is that the BB grow in there.
true, its not necessary, but i prefer to use it and change it out often because it keeps the water clearer IMO