Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1 
Seki

How Much Light Do Bettas Want?

I think I may have mistakenly been under the impression that bettas like a lot of light in their tanks. I was keeping my tank light on a LOT during the day and evening... How much light do bettas tend to like? Also, would he do better with natural light than his aquarium light? He's not in direct sunlight, but my bedroom (where he is) gets pretty good natural light for a good portion of the day. Is that better for him?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 
Frazzle

I usually do 8 - 10 hours of light. Make sure your lights don melt your hood either :P
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-fish-81982/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 
Seki

Thanks for the link to the article, Hallyx, but I'm still not sure how long to leave the tank light on for. Drago, my fish, seems to be a lot more stressed when it is on, so I have considered doing an experiment and leaving it off for the day, just letting natural light be his light source. So far... he seems a heck of a lot happier than he seems to be when the tank light is on.

Frazzle - Thanks for the advice! 8-10 hours of light was what I was doing before, but it really seemed to stress him when the tank light was on, so... maybe it's in my fish's best interest not to have the light on? I wonder if this is because he is new and still adjusting?

I'd love to hear more opinions on this! :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

My Betta did not like the bright light that came with his tank in the hood but now that I have added a floating plant he doesnt mind so I guess it helps block the light. Its a live plant called Hornwot most Fish Shops or Pet shop that have fish will have live plants so if you could get some to see if this helps. You can also order water plants on line and ebay has them too. Also before I added the plants I brought a Aqnarium Light Bulb that is a coral color and he didnt seem to mind it being on as its much dimmer and cast a lovely coral color light though the tank. Good luck I hope you find something that is perfect for your Betta .

Thanks for the link Hal that is some great information to know !

Last edited by Perseusmom; 07-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

You don't really need to have a light for bettas...The daylight from the rest of the room is enough..
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #7 
Frazzle

I had a florescent bulb because I like how it produces white light, not yellow, but I changed it back because my dragonscale didn't like it. Now he does (:
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #8 
choob99

None of my guys or gals mind the light, I have normal aquarium florescent strips on all of them, they actually like when they get turned on, coz I feed them first thing in the morning when i turn the lights on, as soon as it flips on they come running up to the front of the tanks for breakfast! lol
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #9 
Kenny G

That article makes a general statement that does not apply to all betta's. Each betta will respond to light differently. Just like each betta has his/her own personality.

My betta BlueJay does not do as the article suggests. Nor has he never darted around his tank when I turn out his tank light or livingroom light even at bed time.

My other betta Junior darts around his tank when a room light gets turned off even when his tank light is still on. But he has never ran into anything. In the evening at bedtime I can turn off his tank light and then soon after the room light and he is fine and does not dart around the tank.

I live in NYC surrounded by extremely tall buildings. Since my apartment is in the back side of the building I barely get any type of light in my apartment so I leave my 15w 120v incandescent tank lights on for 15 hours a day. I do have caves in both my tanks so both of them can get out of the light when they are tired of light or want privacy.

I say that to say there is no one size fits all rules for betta's.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #10 
ktlelia

I think it matters on whatever your little guy likes. LB hates it too dark and he hated the blinding lights that came with his aquarium. I went out and bought these 15w lights that are like...blue but give a yellow light so it shows off more "natural" light (according to the box it said this haha) He likes them a lot!
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote