Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Cycling with low pH...

Hey guys, I bought this sponge filter and I'm hoping to try to cycle my 3.5 gallon. A fish-in cycle to be exact. I have an extremely low pH level. The pH is 6.5. And is it possible to cycle with that pH? I've heard that the BB doesn't like low pH and start to die off? I was just wondering since I already bought the filter and want my air pump to be some use. I only have my Betta in the tank, and no live plants.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 
megaredize

ive never heard of pH being an issue with a cycle. Im pretty sure it doesnt matter what the pH is. I could be wrong. i just did a quick search and i read from someoen that yourpH would have to be a lot lower than 6 to effect the cycle. But they didnt know if a lower pH would make the cycling go slower. i would add like quick start or nutrafin cycle to your tank. i know some people say it doesnt help but ive always added the nutrafin cycle to my new tanks and it has always helped. There is mixed reviews about these products online, some say yes it works others say no.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah it takes ages for a tank to cycle if your pH is below 7. My water is really soft here with a low pH and unless I use crushed coral in my filters as a buffer I cannot get my tanks to cycle.

6.5 may not be too bad, but if it starts to get lower you will find your cycle grind to a halt.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #4 
megaredize

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah it takes ages for a tank to cycle if your pH is below 7. My water is really soft here with a low pH and unless I use crushed coral in my filters as a buffer I cannot get my tanks to cycle.

6.5 may not be too bad, but if it starts to get lower you will find your cycle grind to a halt.
maybe the solution is to add a buffer to the filter like you do?
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

OK... I used a test strip, (I know, VERY inaccurate) and it said 6.5. Maybe it's lower, maybe it's higher. I don't know. :( I still have to ask my parents if I could buy that master liquid test kit. Hopefully, they'll say yes. Thanks for helping me though!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote