Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #21 
Pataflafla

The aq salt won't hurt. It might slow the growth down a little bit, but it's more important to keep the infection away while growth starts.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #22 
Aus

It's probably a mold called Saprolegnia. It's opportunistic and likes to eat necrotic flesh - thus, its feeding on an existing fin rot problem.

+1^ for aq salt use for the immediate moment. It'll look like it's cleared up after a week or so, and might not come back - but it usually does, if there's an underlying problem.

Keep the tank 100% clean (sapro loves leftover fish food and poo) and think about medicating with an antibiotic containing malachite green.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #23 
MissLyss1024

He looks so much better! He isn't so pale and he's acting feisty I don't see any new growth yet and no more fungus! He's finished with the fungus cure tomorrow, and he is going in to aquarium salt for a week. If for some reason the fungus comes back after that, I'm going to medicate with something stronger. I'm not sure how this happened, I've only had him a few weeks and I got him from WalMart so I'm sure he wasn't in the best of shape. There was absolutley no fin rot on him from what I could tell and I check my fish all the time. His fins tips were actually white so maybe he had a problem before I got him.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #24 
Pataflafla

Most likely was already sick when you got him and the stress from getting a home was a bit too much. It's pretty common for a betta to get sick within the first month of being bought.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #25 
MissLyss1024

He really looks and acts so much better than he did when I got him. I'm shocked. I've had problems with every betta I've gotten from a pet store. Mostly fin rot, but still. Poor things. I have my newest addition in aquarium salt right now because he most certainly has fin rot. He's a feisty little bugger though!
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #26 
lvandert

Good! that means he's got a fighting chance lol.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote