Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Are red bettas more common or less popular?

I went to Petco yesterday to get my 5 gallon tank and a betta if I liked any of them there. They didn't have many bettas at all. They had a bunch of babies, a few females, but the only males they had left were all red with other colored highlights. There was one doubletail that was mostly white with a black edge on its tail, some other black markings, and a blue dot on its tail! I thought that was really cool and I almost bought him, but I want something more colorful, like blue or purple or orange or something.
But anyway, the bettas all being red made me wonder if most bettas are red, or if people prefer the other colors so they tend to buy those first. They will be getting a new shipment on Friday, but I was actually planning on going to a different Petco on Saturday because I was there last week and they had tons of them in all kinds of colors. I don't know if they just unpacked a shipment or what. But they had a better selection. They also had snails, shrimp, and a better selection of plants than at the Petco I went to yesterday which had hardly any plants, and no snails or shrimp.
Although it looks like I'll have to wait another week to buy a betta because I recently confirmed that my apartment is infested with bed bugs (I picked them up at a hotel a few weeks ago. Ugh.), and I just contacted a company today that does heat treatments to get rid of them. Even though bettas are tropical, I don't think he would appreciate being heated up to 120 degrees. haha.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 07-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

The gene that causes the red color to show up in bettas is dominant, so most bettas are red. blue or green bettas often have a "red wash" which is usually considered undesirable to most breeders
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

solid red bettas are not common. Bettas that are red are usually very common
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #4 
CharStarr

Oh boy Im really sorry to hear about your bed bugs, I had them a couple of years ago from the apartment building we were living in, we lost everything even after two treatments of fumigation. I really hope you don't end up like we did, bed bugs are so hard to get rid of. Make sure you put all your clothes in plastic garbage bags and tie them up so that if there are ANY bed bugs in there they can't breathe and theyll die.

On to the subject of bettas, red is very common in bettas especially VTs. I hope you find one of the colours you were looking for =)
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
Oh boy Im really sorry to hear about your bed bugs, I had them a couple of years ago from the apartment building we were living in, we lost everything even after two treatments of fumigation. I really hope you don't end up like we did, bed bugs are so hard to get rid of. Make sure you put all your clothes in plastic garbage bags and tie them up so that if there are ANY bed bugs in there they can't breathe and theyll die.
Thanks. Yeah, it's really got me stressed out. But supposedly the heat treatment uses giant heaters to heat your room (or in this case my whole small apartment) to 120 degrees for a few hours, and they also do some like, spot steaming in cracks and possibly the mattresses too. So you don't have to throw out furniture and mattress because basically the whole place will be hot enough for a long enough time to kill the bed bugs and their eggs. If bed bugs are still present within 30 days, they will come back and do another treatment for free. It's super expensive , but so worth it because I can keep all my stuff and not worry about sealing up every piece of clothing and bedding that I own.
Anyway, sorry to bring you all off topic!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #6 
lvandert

Our neighbor does that for a living. he does hotel rooms and such here in rapid.
Most bettas do have red, there are a lot of breeders trying to work red out of lines and such. Unfortunately a true purple betta doesn't exist, and if it does it's very rare. You might be able to find a lavander-ish one but purple just isn't there, yet. I'm sure there are people working on that line though. If you really want a flashy guy you could find one on aquabid easily. It'll cost ya a bit for shipping but you can find some good ones that aren't show or breeder worthy.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #7 
lelei

Or Petsmart, or a local Pet/fish supply shop..I was so surprized to hear a place locally here which specializes in amphibians/birds has a wide variety of betta fish..oh boy if I ever get there..I may be in trouble..I see a lot of Red VT's especially at our local Petco, or Blue ones, but a RED VT is most common..a friend of mine just got one recently, a big one tho..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #8 
OrangeAugust

Oh, I didn't realize there weren't any true purple ones. My last betta was red with some deep blue highlights that looked almost purple. And my first betta was dark blue and turquoise.
Last weekend I was at a Petco with bettas of lots of colors and types. I have to wait until next week to go back there again. There's also a local aquarium store I just learned about and I'd like to check out their bettas too.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #9 
Enkil

As many have said, red is common because of how dominant it is. It's why I'm trying to keep red out of my lines.
If you want purple, I suggest going to Chard and asking if they have any purples left. They have some very nice fish. This is their AquaBid link: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...seller&Chard56
At the moment, I see them with black orchids, a marble, various reds, and 2 purples.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
solid red bettas are not common. Bettas that are red are usually very common
I actually see some nice solid reds (or at least one) Every time I visit my local Petsmart or LFS. I guess it depends on where you are...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote