Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #11 
Creat
Member
 
Creat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
I would go get a heater they are worth their weight in gold. And yes smaller tanks need more water changes. Water changes can hurt fish if the new water is radically different. The best way to change sick fishs water is to slowly acclimate them to the new water at least 1/2 hr. I agree with tannin idea just make sure there are no pesticides on the leaves also some aq salt would help.He probably is skiddish not mad.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #12 
purpleBETTAS
New Member
 
purpleBETTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Who told you this? Changing the water our daily when you have a sick fish is sometimes essential. especially when dealing with ammonia burn. For a 1 gallon we recommend more than one water change a week, and you have under a one gallon.

This could be taken the wrong way "I don't want to do another water change unless you are sure what your talking about." You came here asking for help and implying I don't know what I'm talking about, when I was trying to help you. I wouldn't lead you astray when you have a sick fish

Im sorry, now that i read that again i realize what i said to you did sound very rude. Im sorry im not trying to come off as rude or anything. I respect you for your knowledge and i thank you for your help as well. Today has just been a emotional day, and stressful at that. I really didnt mean to come off sounding like that. and I take back the comment. i am very sure you know what your talking about, and you probably have had many fish already. So I AM the one who doesnt know what she is talking about ):

do you think I should be handling him with my hands? or should i pour him into a big bowl to perform a water change ?
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #13 
purpleBETTAS
New Member
 
purpleBETTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
I would go get a heater they are worth their weight in gold. And yes smaller tanks need more water changes. Water changes can hurt fish if the new water is radically different. The best way to change sick fishs water is to slowly acclimate them to the new water at least 1/2 hr. I agree with tannin idea just make sure there are no pesticides on the leaves also some aq salt would help.He probably is skiddish not mad.
That sounds good I will go to the pet shop tomorrow and pick up those things. Now for a water heater i dont know how i could ever get one of those to fit in his tank, its very small. Im wondering if I can find thermometer small enough to stay in the tank at all times.

Do you think I shocked him with the water change perhaps and that why his body has reacted this way?
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
I wouldn't remove him for the water changes...just remove half the water and replace with like temp dechlorinated water.....

Since he is new he may need some more time to adjust-especially to the water changes...just be careful removing and replacing the water.

In my small tanks-I use my free clean hand to pour the water over to displace it some.

Turn off your light after the 50% water only change and hold food-unless you have some mosquito larva to offer.

Oak leaf-naturally dried and fallen from the tree-crush one up and add to the tank and crush one up to add to the replacement water an hour before you make a water change tomorrow.

Make a 50% water only tonight and another one tomorrow-use double dose dechlorinator with todays water change and regular dose tomorrow

Can you post a better pic of the bumps-also google Ich and see if the pic look like what your Betta has....Is he rubbing his body on objects in the tank?

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #15 
purpleBETTAS
New Member
 
purpleBETTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I wouldn't remove him for the water changes...just remove half the water and replace with like temp dechlorinated water.....

Since he is new he may need some more time to adjust-especially to the water changes...just be careful removing and replacing the water.

In my small tanks-I use my free clean hand to pour the water over to displace it some.

Turn off your light after the 50% water only change and hold food-unless you have some mosquito larva to offer.

Oak leaf-naturally dried and fallen from the tree-crush one up and add to the tank and crush one up to add to the replacement water an hour before you make a water change tomorrow.

Make a 50% water only tonight and another one tomorrow-use double dose dechlorinator with todays water change and regular dose tomorrow

Can you post a better pic of the bumps-also google Ich and see if the pic look like what your Betta has....Is he rubbing his body on objects in the tank?

Keep us posted.....

ok I am going to try and find some oak leafs right now, and get ready to do a water change. and ok i will hold off on the food for now he did eat today buy i wont feed him tomorrow. and as for the bumps , i looked up ick on google and his dont look like that they appear to seem like something is coming from them, they seem to be fuzzy ish and no he is not rubbing on anything. He is just hiding from me as best as he can. So Ill work on taking a better picture and i will post it as soon as possible.
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #16 
lvandert
Member
 
lvandert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rapid City Sd
Is alright. You could teach him to swim into a cup with an eye dropper and frozen bloodworms or mosquito larva. That way when it comes time to do a water change and your worried about stressing him out he'll just swim into a cup and voila he's out of the tank without even knowing it.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #17 
purpleBETTAS
New Member
 
purpleBETTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Is alright. You could teach him to swim into a cup with an eye dropper and frozen bloodworms or mosquito larva. That way when it comes time to do a water change and your worried about stressing him out he'll just swim into a cup and voila he's out of the tank without even knowing it.


that is a good idea (: I will try that out once he is back to full health i dont want to stress him out anymore then i might already have of ): , you will for sure have to take me through this cup training process though. I want to make sure I would do it properly, also do you know where I could pick up mosquito larva? aside from finding it outside. im not sure if that is something pet shops would carry.
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
If the areas look fuzzy-I would go ahead and start aquarium salt 2tsp/gal.

Since he is already stressed-I would treat in the tank....

after the 50% water only change-remove half the water-using premixed treatment water slowly fill the tank over 20min-and repeat.....This will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the 10 day treatment.

Then make 50% daily water changes with the premixed treatment water for the next 10 days.

Premixed treatment water-Using a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-(dried oak leaf 20 crushed/gallon) Let this steep for 30min-shake well and use as instructed as posted above.

He needs to stay in the premixed treatment water for the duration of the treatment period.....

Mosquito larva you will need to find outside.....just rinse well before feeding...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #19 
purpleBETTAS
New Member
 
purpleBETTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I wouldn't remove him for the water changes...just remove half the water and replace with like temp dechlorinated water.....

Since he is new he may need some more time to adjust-especially to the water changes...just be careful removing and replacing the water.

In my small tanks-I use my free clean hand to pour the water over to displace it some.

Turn off your light after the 50% water only change and hold food-unless you have some mosquito larva to offer.

Oak leaf-naturally dried and fallen from the tree-crush one up and add to the tank and crush one up to add to the replacement water an hour before you make a water change tomorrow.

Make a 50% water only tonight and another one tomorrow-use double dose dechlorinator with todays water change and regular dose tomorrow

Can you post a better pic of the bumps-also google Ich and see if the pic look like what your Betta has....Is he rubbing his body on objects in the tank?

Keep us posted.....


these are the best shots i could get you can see the one bump on his head and the other where his top fin connects to his back. to me it looks like puss is coming up from under the gills, as one single gill is sticking up. the gill that is right behind the first bump on the head.
Attached Images
    
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #20 
Twilight Storm
Member
 
Twilight Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Just to add-

You can make things a little less messy if you wish, by adding the leaves to an empty tea bag. That way you don't get shmutz all over the place. Then let this sit in your gallon jug. and in his tank. You could also just toss in a whole leaf without crushing. It will water log and sink eventually.

Before you use the leaves rinse them a little if you live in an area that could have been sprayed with pesticides or peed on by dogs etc. (excuse me being blunt.)

I personally never used oak leaves yet due to the area I live in, I use indian almond leaves, but if any of the info I just gave above is different with oak please please correct me!

Love his little white mouth btw :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
emergency, sick, spot, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emergency :((((((( bkelizabeth Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 18 09-01-2011 08:59 AM
please emergency, please creativek14 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 15 06-24-2011 10:37 PM
help! emergency crestancestry Breeding Betta Fish 12 12-15-2009 04:52 PM
emergency! crestancestry Betta Fish Care 2 12-04-2009 09:19 PM
Emergency!! Please Help!!! chairmanzala Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 6 11-22-2009 06:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.