Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 
bhali333

should I leave the light on

Hi,

I put the male in the breeding tank this morning and I will introduce the female into the tank tomorrow in her glass tube.

My question is, do I leave the light on the breeding tank 24 hrs. or does it follow a normal cycle??
bhali333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #2 
Creat

My breeding tanks follow a light cycle of 14 hr on and then night light
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
My breeding tanks follow a light cycle of 14 hr on and then night light
I wonder what will they do after the light off
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Mine have the normal day/night cycle. Daytime, they have light, nightime the lights are off.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 
bhali333

OK so should I leave the light on or shut it off at a certain time?? I have a Black Light bulb I could use as a night light.

What are the light parameters for the entire breeding cycle, do you leave the lights on continuously when the male is tending the nest? Do you give the fry once they are alone a certain light dark cycle or does it just follow the rest of the fish light cycle, I keep my lights on about 12 hours a day they are on timers.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #6 
Creat

My lights for the tending nest are the same as breeding unless the male is bad at tending the nest (in which case the lights are on always) they operate by night light. Most fry need dark too it also I think.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I turn my lights off at night like I normally do regardless of spawning stages, eggs, fry or use a night light....
Lights are on 12h and off 12 hours and I also feed before, during, after spawning and when the male is tending the eggs/fry without issue and I often leave the female longer so I can get 2-3 spawns..., however, I spawn using a more natural method in soil based full to the top with water tanks-
Plus all my outside spawns only have whatever light is provided by the moon and on the West side of the house between all trees, the house and mountain 20ft from my house I get very little moon light....

Fish have what is called a "Lateral line" and it is used somewhat like echo location so that they can function in darkness.

With that said...leaving the light on at night once you have eggs/fry won't hurt...Its just not needed.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 
bhali333

Thanks OFL