Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 
Seki

Help me out... color/age?

When I purchased Drago from Petsmart, he was in a cup labelled dragonscale crowntail male betta. He seemed really small (especially compared to this gigantic red crowntail they had there), so I asked the sales associate if she knew how old he was, and she said there was no way to know. I asked if he would get any larger and she gave me an emphatic NO and told me dragonscales are always much smaller than other bettas. I am curious, though, what you guys think? He just seems so small, his fins seems shorter and smaller, and he doesn't seem filled out like my last betta was. He seems almost... teenager-skinny, if you will? But I could easily be wrong about that.

Also, in regards to his color, can you guys tell me what you see? I have seen pictures of other dragonscales, and his scales don't seem quite as "thick", as dragonscales I have seen on the internet. Plus, he seems to have some black spots... is that what you call "marbling"? Does anyone foresee any color changing from this little guy?

NOTE: These pictures are taken in poor lighting, our power was flashing on and off today, so to spare him the lights flickering on and off, I just unplugged his tank light. His scales shine green in the right light, though. :)

Last edited by Seki; 07-26-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: correcting typo
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #2 
CandiceMM

It's hard to tell age in a Betta that has come from a pet store. And It is not true that Dragon scales are smaller. With Betta babies coming into Petco and Petsmart it is getting harder to tell age. Seems all the left over unwanted guys just get shipped there for profit.

He sure is beautiful, I just found a home for a young Dragon Scale Plakat that I named Khal Drago, was yours inspired by Game of Thrones also?
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 
Seki

Hahaha actually it wasn't. I named him after the crazy Russian boxer in the Rocky movie (I don't remember which number lol... maybe Rocky 2?). I thought he needed a tough name cause he's such a little dude haha.

You say it's not true that dragonscales are smaller, so is there a chance he is still just young and he will get bigger? I'd love for him to fill out a bit more. And I'd love for him to gain some confidence; he still has yet to flare for me. :( Any tips for that? He doesn't react to fingers or mirrors.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
CandiceMM

My biggest tip would be give him time and high protein foods. Frozen blood worms/brine shrimp. Its very cheap at any Petco or Petsmart. 5 bucks. Will last a while. He should fill out in no time, and once he is feeling better and healthy you will have a flaring little Drago in no time!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #5 
Seki

I've been feeding him freeze-dried bloodworms, and he seems to have quite the appetite! I've also been feeding Aqueon pellets, because that is what Petsmart recommended and they said that is what they feed their bettas, so that's what he's been eating.

Right now he's being fed once a day, should I up that at all? My last fish had a bloating problem, so I think that is why I am hesitant to overfeed, but... if Drago really is young, maybe he should eat twice a day? idk
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Grizzled bi color.

Age, hard to tell with a pet store fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Grizzled bi color.

Age, hard to tell with a pet store fish.
Ohh, so you don't think he is a dragonscale? :(
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

He is gorgeous, and I bet he will color up and grow a bit...most pet store employees will tell you what they think you want to hear...he's great!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #9 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
He is gorgeous, and I bet he will color up and grow a bit...most pet store employees will tell you what they think you want to hear...he's great!
Aw, thank you! I'm excited to see how he colors up, if he does. And I would be thrilled if he got a little bit bigger! He's such a chill little dude haha. Although I did notice today when I was feeding him that he got real excited when he saw my fingers through the feeding slot in the hood. His fins seemed to spread out *almost* like he was going to flare, although he didn't. He doesn't care about them through the side of the tank, but through the top? Yeah, he got real excited lol

I'm waiting for the day he'll make me a bubblenest. Hopefully soon! :)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 
Eduka

It took two weeks for my little teal marble guy to open up for me! All of my others (6) flared the same day I brought them home, but my little Oddball seemed to be a shy, cautious and nervous little man. I posted a pic of him in the "Petco/Petsmart finds' thread :) He's super tiny, half the size of some of my other VT's, but he's a little sweetheart!

I think if you give him time, he'll get more comfortable. Oddball comes out from his plants to see me whenever I go over to talk to him now :) Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say my fish have personalities lol
Eduka is offline   Reply With Quote