Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #1 
CrypticDelirium

Talking Hi all! : )

Hey everyone! I'll be going back to college this fall for aquaculture leading to marine bio. : ) I'm choosing Betta as my main project for AC, and will most likely continue after the few years as I've truly fallen for the beauty and variety offered with them.

I have a breeding plan, but it's a bit of a secret. (wink) I'll be breeding VERY decisively with a major concentration on extremely specific genetics after months of study (WOW complicated much : P)

As is I have one little petstore crowntail guy who was a wally world rescue (and is going to a lovely non breeding home), he started my love of betta! I have quite a few nicely planted tanks divided for plenty of room and I'll be acquiring a grow out set-up within the next week (woo hoo payday come NOW lol), spawning tanks, etc, and have a variety of WONDERFUL, (VERY carefully chosen for genotype and finnage) betta coming in Jennifers next transhipping.

I'll be very excited to meet all of you and continue my learning journey! <3
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticDelirium View Post
Hey everyone! I'll be going back to college this fall for aquaculture leading to marine bio. : ) I'm choosing Betta as my main project for AC, and will most likely continue after the few years as I've truly fallen for the beauty and variety offered with them.

I have a breeding plan, but it's a bit of a secret. (wink) I'll be breeding VERY decisively with a major concentration on extremely specific genetics after months of study (WOW complicated much : P)

As is I have one little petstore crowntail guy who was a wally world rescue (and is going to a lovely non breeding home), he started my love of betta! I have quite a few nicely planted tanks divided for plenty of room and I'll be acquiring a grow out set-up within the next week (woo hoo payday come NOW lol), spawning tanks, etc, and have a variety of WONDERFUL, (VERY carefully chosen for genotype and finnage) betta coming in Jennifers next transhipping.

I'll be very excited to meet all of you and continue my learning journey! <3
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to following your betta breeding journey!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum
Looking forward to your breeding adventures.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Welcome! Sounds like you have loads of fun & hard work ahead of you! Good luck!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #5 
CrypticDelirium

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome!

The more I learn, the more excited I get. I even fashioned what could work as a sponge filter, bio filter, AND bubbler that will cost about $12, from straws, duct tape and a kitchen sponge. (I blew through the straws into a mixing bowl.) XD Now I have to replace it with the REAL things, airline tubing and such of course before it's EVER placed into a tank, BUT I can't wait to share a truly cost effective method to help keep betta water clean for half the money. I really want to get into educating people on proper care and I know DIY, inexpensive setup options can convince many nay Sayers! I hope, at least.

I know a lot of people won't like my adopt culls method, but as I'll have very few, VERY select spawns to monitor EVERY fry it will truly not be a problem for me as my high number of "culls" I adopt out AS PETS will put even most breeders to shame. I WILL of course mercy euthanize as kindly as possible if the need ever arises, but I believe if the fins are off, the color isn't exactly what I want, the life is STILL my responsibility and I will not let them down.(I am not saying anything against anyone who culls for other reasons, simply my method so you can have an idea of my upcoming breeding program :D)

Besides, I believe if more people sold good quality pet betta (which there is a high demand in my area, a luxury I do not take lightly, the pet stores cannot stay stocked) it could help shut down the cup sellers. I can offer my fish locally, educate, and hope for the best!

I want to do this ALL in all, no half effort. I love betta too much to risk inexperience without intensive study, so I try my best to learn every aspect I can WAY before I spawn, though I have some VERY nice fish being imported. Really, everything from finage to color will compliment EVERY spawn to where what I dub "pet quality" will most likely outshine what most people sell as breeders ten fold. I look at hundreds of fish a day planning for this, and 99% don't even make me bat an eye.

I can't wait to start sharing some ideas, and keep learning! <3
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Nice!
The only thing is, a kitchen sponge will break down after a short time.
My filter Intake was too strong, so I boiled a kitchen sponge to remove the chemicals.. And put it in the intake, very small pieces came off of it and it deteriorated quite quickly. :/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 
CrypticDelirium

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Nice!
The only thing is, a kitchen sponge will break down after a short time.
My filter Intake was too strong, so I boiled a kitchen sponge to remove the chemicals.. And put it in the intake, very small pieces came off of it and it deteriorated quite quickly. :/

Ooooh nooo, sorry I wan't clear: I'm never ever putting those materials into an aquarium: I just designed then setup with the, basically used the ghetto stuff I had available to design it AND sort of recycle a bit, so as to not waste $$.- I'll replace straws with aquarium tubing, kitchen sponge with good aquarium sponge, etc before it goes near fish. : P With the new parts, all in all including air pump it should be about $12 to $15 and would be a GREAT system for a fry tank once I have it set up right!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum sounds like you have a great plan ! Good luck and keep us updated.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #9 
VictorP

Welcome to the forum feel free to ask questions! Good luck on your adventure as well.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hey there Cryptic

It sounds like you're at the start of a pretty exciting adventure.

I have to comment about your thoughts on stores stocking better quality bettas. I think proper care is the key to keeping stores from selling in the mass quantities that they do.

If everyone knew and practiced proper care, they'd only be buying a fish every few years instead of every frew months. The pet stores LOVE that most people are cluless when it comes to fish care because the fish just fly off of the shelves if they only live weeks or months :(
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote