Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 
goldfishyman

Experiments in breeding

Hi all,
I want to start this thread regarding various experiments that you have tried to get your bettas to breed and raising betta fry.

I have tried various experiments so far.
Raising water temp then cooling down with ice and fresh clean water to simulate rain fall and PH temp changes should occur with this process. Normal conditions would be hot then rain would cool down water and dilute anything that is in concentration in the water.
I had no success with this. I need to build a device that drips water in like rain.

In addition to this I have also tried using a variable rate strobe light to simulate lightning. I need to try banging some pans or getting some sheet metal to vibrate to simulate thunder. lol

Current experiment, I have a male and female outside in a 10 gallon tank with a bunch of oak leaves. Water is very dark. Been removing and adding water daily to simulate rain changes. The weather in the last week has ranged from hot to cold. Current outside temps are 55* F. The fish are doing fine. Female has a fat belly from all the bug larva she has been eating. They both refuse to eat pellet food atm.

They chase each other around but no real damage has occurred to either fish. Lots of dead leaves to hide under but they refuse to hide.

I just built a device to keep micro worms from falling to bottom of tank. My hope is that the worms will slowly wiggle out of it and the fry will gobble them up as they become available. No more bottom feeding and missing ventral fins if this works.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

55 degrees F?!?!?!!?

Tropical fish
That is all.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Interesting..... you do have to constantly be on your toes with this species.

I haven't experimented much on setups and conditions other than new clean tub and water vs aged water. My trial and error is more on getting reluctant breeders to breed (flaring, planted vs bare, etc) and how to save neglected eggs (artificial hatching).

Wow, 55F.... that's really low. But if you slowly adapt your fry to 4 season, someday they will tolerate low temps.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

My outdoor set up dropped to the high 50s in the initial weeks. Got a spawn during one of those nights.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #5 
goldfishyman

Yea 55* F sounds bad but you have to remember the temp changes were gradual during the night. There is no reason they cannot adapt to slow changes in temp. In the day the water warms up again. This is the normal cycle in an outdoor environment. I'm sure if it was below 50 it would be bad. I have converted a salt water puffer I caught, when living on Guam, to live in fresh water. He used to live in the same tank as my gold fish. I had to put a divider in the tank because he was aggressive towards the goldfish. Animals are adaptable.

I have an program on my PC that monitors the temp, wind, rain barometric pressure. Currently almost all my males have made bubble nest. Current Barometric pressure is 1014 hPa.

Well just tried my new micro worm feeder. Needs more work. Worms fell right through lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

I think your fish will get sick from the temp change
If not then Ick
Your setting yourself up to parasite
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #7 
CrypticDelirium

I'm quite interested in your micro worm filter idea. Is it something you'd care to share a bit of info on? (If it's a secret I'd understand : P) But I've made quite a few DIY crazy things for other things, mayhaps I could give some advice!
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #8 
goldfishyman

The water has a lot of oak leaves. The acidic environment should protect the fish from ammonia and other bacteria infections.
Driftwood In Aquariums - A Fish Guide

From what I understand ammonia in low ph water will convert to ammonium which can still be used by bacteria and converted to nitrite, but the ammonium is not as toxic to fish as ammonia. Prime does this conversion.

Ick isn't always present in fish. The fish have to be infected. Ick need warm temperatures to reproduce fast. The colder water would inhibit them from reproducing fast.
is it always in your tank? - The Reef Tank
Old 07-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #9 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticDelirium View Post
I'm quite interested in your micro worm filter idea. Is it something you'd care to share a bit of info on? (If it's a secret I'd understand : P) But I've made quite a few DIY crazy things for other things, mayhaps I could give some advice!
used stockings to try and keep the micro worms in so they would slowly fall as they wiggle. I need to try something else. I already have 3 layers and they fall right through. Worms are 50 micron wide.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #10 
Twilight Storm

I never really thought about trying to simulate rain. I'd say try a spray bottle first.

Fun idea that may or may not work, just thought I would toss it out there:

You could convert a 2 liter bottle into an octopus of airline tubing rigged like drip acclimation, either with knots or valves at the ends of the tubes. This wouldn't produce a "storm" however. More like a light rain depending on how slow you made the drip, and how many tubes you used.

[Thunder could be simulated easy like you said, or just run a speaker out to the tank and have something boom through it maybe. I know a lot of the computer games the kids play make me believe it's raining outside when something booms on their computer.

Lightning could also be simulated with a camera flash on a timer if the room is dark enough. Same idea as the strobe light though I would think.]

Anyway just ideas. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote