Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

Live Plant Questions.

I have been planning on changing Delta's tank up a little bit to a more Asian theme considering they come from that area of the world. Well I found some cool Cambodian decor and they had a sell on live bamboo.

Since I had the money to spend I figured I could do it and make him, and myself more happy. I do have some questions though.

Question 1

I know for a fact that plants take in and absorb nitrogen and ammonia. I don't know if it's the same for aquatic plants though. Yes or no?

If they do, should I worry about either of those chemical levels getting above what they should be?

Question 2

With me stating above, I do have a pretty good grasp on plants, but not so sure about aquatic plants. So any tips to keeping them as healthy as my Betta?

Question 3

Since I do have a themed tank, what would look good with the bamboo. I am going to get 4 or 5 more so Delta can have a little bamboo forest. Any inexpensive easy to maintain grass type things would look good in my opinion as long as it doesn't go over 2"

Thanks for the help.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #2 
Aus

Just make sure there's no bamboo leaves below the waterline, they'll rot, as it isn't a true aquatic but a bog plant, and doesn't like being fully submerged. Rotting plant matter is what gives off wastes...

Plants that take up ammonia best are the fast growing stem plants and floaters - wisteria, elodea, frogbit. Swords are great at taking up nitrates.

Perhaps dwarf chain sword might give you a nice grasslike effect? Or even a moss, they can look wonderful grown over the substrate.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 
RainbowSocks

^+1
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #4 
LittleWatty

Dwarf hairgrass (I believe is fully aquatic?) or Microsword are both good grassy-type plants. I've got each, and they'll be in my 10 gallon when its done.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #5 
Sundancex

Please take into consideration lighting and fertilizers before getting something like microsword or dwarf hairgrass. They need higher light and more ferts than something like java fern. Actually I believe it is recommended to use CO2 with both.

Also, like someone else mentioned, bamboo's leaves have to be out of water.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
Aus

With adequate light, you won't need to use Co2 - it'll just be a bit slower to grow, is all. If you want a dense, compact 'lawn' to grow fairly quickly, then it might be a good idea.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

:) you seem to have kept plants before. I can relate particularly well to this as I'm a huge fan of indoor plants and could grow them quite well before I began on aq plants.

The lighting requirement is pretty much the same. if you have the space you can grow aquarium plants just like any other ordinary pot plant, with moist soil and a sealed, bright environment.

Fertilization can occurr via fish waste or supplemented by you.

CO2 is used in high light situation to induce faster growth
Good luck!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote