Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 
SparklE fin
New Member
 
SparklE fin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Perris, California
Question Frozen fish food questions

I'm getting a betta soon, and I'm thinking of feeding frozen because I only have freeze dried. So I'm thinking Brine shrimp, Mosquito larvae and Blood worms postively. Is Beefheart too high in protein for bettas or is it ok? Is there any difference between Hikari and San Francisco Bay frozen food? I heard that if you use the whole cube, it clouds up the water so any serving suggestion for bettas. Thanks for reading
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #2 
KevinPham123
Member
 
KevinPham123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklE fin View Post
I'm getting a betta soon, and I'm thinking of feeding frozen because I only have freeze dried. So I'm thinking Brine shrimp, Mosquito larvae and Blood worms postively. Is Beefheart too high in protein for bettas or is it ok? Is there any difference between Hikari and San Francisco Bay frozen food? I heard that if you use the whole cube, it clouds up the water so any serving suggestion for bettas. Thanks for reading
You must portion the right amount for feeding time. Too much will of course cloud the water and cause problems. I recommend you to feed pellets for the mean time. Just until you gain more experience with foods and maintenance because 'floating' pellets will be cleaner than other foods usually.

Mosquito larvae is pretty good but should be only a treat. Clean it before you feed it to your betta

Hope this helps
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior
Member
 
jeremywadejunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklE fin View Post
I'm getting a betta soon, and I'm thinking of feeding frozen because I only have freeze dried. So I'm thinking Brine shrimp, Mosquito larvae and Blood worms postively. Is Beefheart too high in protein for bettas or is it ok? Is there any difference between Hikari and San Francisco Bay frozen food? I heard that if you use the whole cube, it clouds up the water so any serving suggestion for bettas. Thanks for reading
I feed my betta a diet of frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and pellets, alternating throughout the week. The brand I use is San Fransisco Bay, but I've never used Hikari so I'm not sure on a difference there! Definitely don't use the whole cube! In each cube I'd say there are probably around 50 brine shrimp/ worms. What I do, is I take one cube, put it in a cup and let it thaw, then use a turkey baster to suck out the appropriate amount of food for one feeding. That way, you can just put the cup back in the freezer and refreeze it til next time.
I give my betta 1 large brine shrimp or a couple small ones at a time, just depending on the size. Or if I'm feeding him blood worms that day, I'll give him one, since they tend to be a bit larger. Just judge how much food to feed them; remember their stomachs are about the size of one of their eyeballs. I also only feed my guy blood worms around once a week because I've heard they can cause bloating. Let me know if you have any other questions about the food!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 
SparklE fin
New Member
 
SparklE fin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Perris, California
Oh, thanks for the tip on feeding! On another site they said to crush the ice and the tip of a toothpick. I thought it was confusing.

How long does a pack/cube lasts for you? Also do you refreeze after feeding?
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 
vilmarisv
Member
 
vilmarisv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Jeremy's got it.
I don't like refreezing a completely thawed cube. What I do is I place the cube in a little of water and swish around until I have the desired amount of worms loose from the cube. Then I place the rest of the still frozen cube in the freezer.
I don't like cutting them up because they loose all the blood.
I also don't use them unless they are bright red. To me, a brown blood worm is a bad bloodworm.
Frozen ones have never caused bloating in my fish and I feed them more that once daily when conditioning pairs.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #6 
jeremywadejunior
Member
 
jeremywadejunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklE fin View Post
Oh, thanks for the tip on feeding! On another site they said to crush the ice and the tip of a toothpick. I thought it was confusing.

How long does a pack/cube lasts for you? Also do you refreeze after feeding?
A cube will last a long time! I've been feeding Junior frozen brine shrimp from the same pack for about a month now and I'm only about half way through one cube! A pack has 30 cubes in it. So really it's a great buy because it will last you and your fish a long while.

Yes, I do refreeze them. I keep the pack in my freezer and one cube in a cup at a time (I also keep that cup in the freezer except for when I am letting it thaw before I feed Junior). So when you buy a pack, first open one of the little pockets and take that cube out and put it in a cup. Leave the rest of the pack closed and store it in the freezer. If you're going to feed soon, leave the cup out so that the water surrounding the food will melt and the food will thaw and it will be ready for your fish to eat at feeding time. Once you've fed your fish by picking out the appropriate amount of food (I use a turkey baster but you can probably also use tweezers or a small spoon), put the cup of thawed food back in the fridge to refreeze for next time!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 
jeremywadejunior
Member
 
jeremywadejunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Jeremy's got it.
I don't like refreezing a completely thawed cube. What I do is I place the cube in a little of water and swish around until I have the desired amount of worms loose from the cube. Then I place the rest of the still frozen cube in the freezer.
I don't like cutting them up because they loose all the blood.
I also don't use them unless they are bright red. To me, a brown blood worm is a bad bloodworm.
Frozen ones have never caused bloating in my fish and I feed them more that once daily when conditioning pairs.
Great tips there too! On my next cube, I think I'll do the same; swish it in water and only take what I need from the cube.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 
vilmarisv
Member
 
vilmarisv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Great tips there too! On my next cube, I think I'll do the same; swish it in water and only take what I need from the cube.
I use more your method now because I have so many fish to feed and after taking all the questionable worms out, I have just enough to feed all my fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #9 
tanseattle
Member
 
tanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
great tips Vil
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #10 
SparklE fin
New Member
 
SparklE fin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Perris, California
Now I get it! Thanks alot. I'm getting alot of different foods, I hope he or she likes it all
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
frozen food for fry? ICEAL Breeding Betta Fish 0 09-28-2011 10:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.