Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #11 
teeneythebetta

I actually feed my dogs and cat's blue buffalo... Days after they started eating 100% blue, their coats were noticeably shinier and A LOT softer.(well mostly the cat's coat were softer since my dog doesn't have a fluffy soft coat to begin with lol) My dog also seems to have more energy when we go on walks, because he's turned them into runs. Lol

I agree with the science diet... It's truly overpriced junk. Sorry but it's true. Vets are paid to endorse foods, and that's why they endorse overpriced junk. Another thing about these quality foods is that they are so nutrient dense that your dog/cat will eat less of the food. So it saves money.

The ingredients label is your friend. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #12 
teeneythebetta

My younger dog is allergic to grains (that's why he has blue WILDERNESS). He used to be on purina/pedigree food. He had major dandruff, and he licked his paw to the point where it was swollen, we gave him allergy mess suggested by the vet, but the vet never mentioned anything about his food being the cause. We started giving him the blue and he licks less now. Were actually going to have to put the cone of shame on him so he gives it a chance to completely un-swell without licking it..
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

WAIT- Royal Canin is good? :s
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #14 
Pataflafla

It's not absolutely wonderful, but it's better than Eukanuba, Purina, Science Diet, etc.

It's on the bottom rung for good foods in my opinion.

Blue, Innova, and AvoDerm are the best for store bought foods though, imo.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My vet's office sells Royal Canin everything, I thought that vets only sold bad food.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
My vet's office sells Royal Canin everything, I thought that vets only sold bad food.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's not the worst but it's not the best. Someone gave me a few cans of royal canin for my cat's. I look at the ingredients, saw by products, then donated it.

With how much royal canin costs, it's stupid to buy when you can easily buy good foods.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I just think that anyone thinks the first ingredient in a food is lamb is an idiot. Look a how much lamb costs for people. It's all the same 4-D garbage. Make your own food if you care that much. :s
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #18 
Jrf456

Well that's pretty irritating.. For ten years we've been buying a $50 bag of Science Diet for the dog and a $50 bag for the cats two times a month.. $200 a month and it's junk? Thanks for the heads up guys.. I'll try Blue.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Aus is in Australia. A lot of those brands are not sold here at all. We have a very limited market for true high-quality food and these are usually hideously expensive.

Probably best brands we have for dog food here that I know off is Eaglepack Holistic (no corn), Earthborn Holistics Primitive, Canidae and Wellness.

Best food for cats that we have found have been Felidae, Wellness and Eaglepack Holistics.

We used to feed Iams back in the days before the whole grain/corn free revolution and the difference in our dogs' and cats' coats and general appearance is absolutely amazing.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
Well that's pretty irritating.. For ten years we've been buying a $50 bag of Science Diet for the dog and a $50 bag for the cats two times a month.. $200 a month and it's junk? Thanks for the heads up guys.. I'll try Blue.
Aww. Well I'm glad you got some good info out of this thread. :) If you go on blue buffalo's website, on the right hand side click "take the true blue test" to compare your brand to blue, fill out the form & they will send you a coupon. You can get 1 $3 off cat coupon & 1 $5 off dog coupon mailed to you.