Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 
bcgirl

Nano Cube Habitat

Hello All,

I am new here, just found this site looking for information on my new betta. I currently have a 24 gallon jbj nano cube that is heavily planted with low to moderate light plants and has 5 Roberti tetras and 5 silver tipped tetras. I was given a beautiful half moon male and after much reading I think he will do okay with those fish as none of them have long flashy fins and they are all peaceful and I don't think will bother him.

The problem came when I placed him in the tank this afternoon. The filtration seems to be so strong that if he gets close to the drainage grate he gets pulled against it and can't get loose. I turned the pump off and he swam around great. I turned the pump back on and down as low as it would go (not terribly low) and he was still getting stuck if he got too close. The pump is an maxi jet 1200 so the current is pretty strong and I know they are not strong swimmers. Should I try to cover the drainage grate or will he still get pulled in? Or change to a different pump that pulls less water hoping that will keep him from getting pulled in and stuck?

For tonight I took him out of the tank and placed him in a bowl, I was afraid he would get stuck over night and drown if I left him in there. I didn't want to unplug the pump and leave the whole tank without filtration and oxygenation for the rest of the fish overnight either.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 
SweetNightmare

A prefilter sponge over the intake will do wonders. :) At the very least, it will keep his fins from getting damaged. If the outtake is still too strong after that, you can tape a flat piece of plastic to the front, or rubber band a long sponge over the output. That should reduce the current to almost nothing. Enjoy your fishy friend! :)
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote