Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #11 
quakersteph

My betta gets along great with my otocinclus catfish. They do a great job with algae, are active in the bottom and mid-levels, are very peaceful, and not flashy or threatening to him. He'll even go hang out with them, and when i give them a zucchini treat they all share it with no problems. If you go with the otos, make sure you get at least 3 as they are schooling fish, and because they are so peaceful having a group of them will keep them healthier, happier, and free of stress. Plus, they stay right around 2", so you don't have to worry so much about them outgrowing the tank like a plecostomus would. They are a lot of fun to watch, too!
quakersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #12 
LittleWatty

I know shrimp would be a feast for the big fella, which is why I was thinking of something else. Since I can really only go for one or the other, would people recommend a bottom or mid dwelling school? From what I know, bottom sounds better, as they tend to keep the algae down (which I have a problem with in one tank). However, at the same time, mid dwellers like tetras or platies might be more able to defend themselves against a king? I don't know. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes with him on his own for a while, but I really would like to get something else in that tank, even if its just shrimp.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #13 
MSG

If you have algae problem, go with the otos, I hope you choose ones that are healthy & try to fatten the otos up as much as possible during the first 2 weeks, with little thin slices of veggies.

Kings look like they could eat a whole fly in one bite.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to eat their fishmates.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #14 
GrayL

The king, about 6 or so Neon, glowlight, etc. Tetras, and a couple of ghost shrimp. Make sure the fish don't fit in the Kings mouth.
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote