Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #11 
mizzlainy

I'll buy the IAL online today. as for the QT container, the only thing I have is the container I brought him home in. Would that be okay?
mizzlainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #12 
mizzlainy

Also, about the filter, would it be okay to keep using it if I were to baffle it as cjconcepcion mentioned? And how do I baffle a filter? O_o
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #13 
cjconcepcion

sorry for the misinformation (is that a word? lol) i was told before that epsom salt could damage them too :/
Yes you can use the container you got him in, and of course you can keep using the filter once its baffled... let me find the link...
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #14 
cjconcepcion

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

^^ see if this one works for you, weve got the same filter and i baffled it a different way, let me know how the above filter baffle works for you! if it dosent i can always show you how i made mine
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #15 
mizzlainy

Thanks, cjconception! Will look at the link once I get home from work tonight =)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #16 
Chibi

I used melafix to help Vader regrow his tail from his tail biting episode. It worked really well and it is a natural remedy that also help with tail/fin rot and etc... You could also try that.. :) please follow the instructions though, Good luck!
Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #17 
MollyJean

I've bought from Amy on E Bay, even her grade C leafs are nice, but it can take a while for them to arrive. If you can find oak leaves at a friends house or the park, do it. They'll do the most to heal the fins, more then any salt would.

I'm curious though; Sometimes there's a good reason for fin rot. What kind of decorations does he have? What kind of lighting? And how heavy is the traffic in his area. Sometimes it's something as simple as stress. That first picture looks more like biting then rot to me, though, so maybe the rot was brought on by the biting... And there are so many reasons a betta might tail bite!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #18 
mizzlainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi View Post
I used melafix to help Vader regrow his tail from his tail biting episode. It worked really well and it is a natural remedy that also help with tail/fin rot and etc... You could also try that.. :) please follow the instructions though, Good luck!
Thank you! I will look into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
I've bought from Amy on E Bay, even her grade C leafs are nice, but it can take a while for them to arrive. If you can find oak leaves at a friends house or the park, do it. They'll do the most to heal the fins, more then any salt would.

I'm curious though; Sometimes there's a good reason for fin rot. What kind of decorations does he have? What kind of lighting? And how heavy is the traffic in his area. Sometimes it's something as simple as stress. That first picture looks more like biting then rot to me, though, so maybe the rot was brought on by the biting... And there are so many reasons a betta might tail bite!
I don't know of any oak trees around me or over at any friends place =\ We have a big park, but I rarely ever walk through it. Mainly cars go through it and whatnot. I wouldn't receive the IAL from Amy until the 6th but it is what it is!

This is how his tank was set up. I removed the gravel though to make sure he was pooping properly. All he has now is the large silk plant and that little hiding spot which he LOVES going into. Ignore the level of water in this picture. I was still in the process of adding water and I always fill it up to under where the water flows out of the filter. Also, the back part of the tank is covered, which you don't see in the picture. The amount of light you see in the picture is about what I get in my room (In San Francisco, we don't get a whole lot of sun/warm days). Other than that, I have the LED lamp that comes with the tank. My room is pretty quiet because its at the back of the house, away from the front where the street is. I'm on a quiet, non-busy block, too, so he rarely hears any noise from cars/motorcycles.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #19 
Chibi

Just read some articles/info regarding melafix for bettas. It can actually harm them instead... :( sorry sorry!!! There's bettafix which works like melafix but it's diluted and is better for bettas... However, I say you should use OFL's method... I'm pretty sure she knows better.

PS. nice tank!
Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #20 
FishyFishy89

I believe what you have here is tail biting not fin rot. I also recommend treating with AQ salt.

I wouldn't use bettafix. I've read way too many problems about them.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote