Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #11 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
My bettas often act "lame" and tired the first day or two I get them out of that awful cup they come in. Alejandro slept on a leaf for the entire first day like he was exhausted. Hopefully your guy will liven up in a day or two.

And yes, all my bettas have sleepytime. They sleep on hammocks, in plants, decorations, etc. They all have their favorite places, there is even a thread about funny sleeping pictures on this site somewhere.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #12 
SpookyTooth

I'm glad you finally got him! He's very beautiful.

As everyone has said sometimes it takes bettas a while to adjust to their new home, it may also be that he moved around in the night but went back to a favourite sleeping spot before you checked on him today. Kaze sleeps in the same spot almost every time and it can be quite worrisome the first few times you spot your fish sleeping. They are almost perfectly still, just floating there - sometimes in the open, then they suddenly go up for air then return to their spot.

Were you able to find a liquid test kit? It might be worth doing an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test as I remember you mentioning doing a fish-in cycle, it's quite possible it may be due to start (though it is very, very soon). If you find you get an ammonia reading of 0.25 or over you'll need to do a small partial water change.

Did the pet store you got him from seem to treat him okay? Was he in a tank with other fish? Sometimes these fish aren't kept in the best conditions at stores due to various misinterpretations of their care and sometimes ammonia levels in pet shop tanks can be startlingly high, so it'd be worth checking that if you are still concerned.

Good luck!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #13 
Mudiwa

Spookytooth - I did test my water yesterday, it was all at 0 (apart from pH of course, which was 7.6 ;)).
Today the amonnia was almost 20ppm (it was an inbetween colour), so I did a 50% water change - which was a disaster. I think my siphon is too big for this tank, as I kept knocking things down with it. But while doing my water change I realised what the problem was - the diagnosis is: I'm an idiot ;) I misread the label of water conditioner and put 15 DROPS instead of 15 MLS for 30 litres of water. This has now been corrected and my (still unnamed) fish seems much happier. He is slowly starting to swim around and taking his new home in.

About the petstore we bought him from - even though it was a chain one, it seemed ok. He seemed happy and he was fed pellets and frozen bloodworms. The guy who was selling him to me really made sure I knew what I was doing and asked all about the tank I have waiting for him.
Mudiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #14 
SpookyTooth

20ppm? Do you mean 2ppm? 20ppm is scary heh! The water change was a great idea, I'm also glad you sorted out the water conditioner, we all make mistakes but it's okay as long as we learn from them! Water changes are always a little frustrating the first couple of times but it does get easier!

It's great when people at stores (especially chain stores) really ask you about your set up, it shows just how much they care - how awesome! :D
Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #15 
Mudiwa

I meant 0.25 ppm - I really need to start reading labels properly.

But Mia is happy with her new friend, she keeps checking whether he is sleeping or swimming, and she is good at listening to me and not knocking on the glass and putting her hands in the tank.

It's nice to have a pet first time in my life! If all goes well with the fish, we're gonna move on to mammals :D
Old 07-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #16 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudiwa View Post
He's still not moving :( How long should I give him to adjust?
Betta fish hang out near the surface of the water often since they have the ability to breathe air. He probably is just adjusting to his new home; he could be feeling a little frightened. I would buy a few silk plants to put in his tank so he'll feel a little more secure and he'll be able to hide.

Also, a lot of fish tend to "liven up" a few days after they are brought home, since they have less than ideal conditions at the pet store they come from and they are recovering from that. He should get used to his nicer home/water quality soon and start becoming more active. Just let him adjust :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #17 
Mudiwa

Guys, thank you so much for all advice.
He livened up yesterday, was swimming around, checking out the surroundings (especially after I rectified the water conditioner situation).
Today I woke up and... I found him dead ;( I am so upset :( I feel like I failed completely and I don't even know why he died - it might have been because of the water change - maybe it was too much stress for him? I messed something up and it cost him his life :(
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #18 
SpookyTooth

I'm so sorry he didn't make it, Mudiwa! It's always difficult losing any animal. Have you tested the water? If everything comes up clear he may have just not been well when you purchased him and simply didn't have the strength to pull through.

We can do everything possible for our animals and do everything right but sometimes nature just has other plans... I learned this myself a short while ago, it's a tough lesson but it will help in future. Please don't blame yourself, you took the time and energy to get things right, that's far more than what your friend could have ever asked for.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #19 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudiwa View Post
Guys, thank you so much for all advice.
He livened up yesterday, was swimming around, checking out the surroundings (especially after I rectified the water conditioner situation).
Today I woke up and... I found him dead ;( I am so upset :( I feel like I failed completely and I don't even know why he died - it might have been because of the water change - maybe it was too much stress for him? I messed something up and it cost him his life :(
I'm sorry he didn't pull through! But I really don't believe it was your fault at all. From the way he was acting, it sounds like he was sick at the pet store. Pets come into our lives to bring us joy and to help us learn; your betta enjoyed his time with you (you rescued him from the poor pet store conditions!) and he taught you some new things that you can practice next time you own a fish; that's truly honoring his life. :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote