Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #1 
agrunner14

New betta swimming in cirlces

I bought a Delta Tail Betta and put him in his 5 gallon tank for the first time last night, probably about 12 hours ago, and it seems he has been swimming ever since. I've researched and stuff, but I want to make sure this is normal when they are in a brand new tank? It's quite a big change from the tiny container he was in at the store, so I would think he is just exploring and getting the feel for his new surroundings. I just wanted to make sure, though!
agrunner14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #2 
lelei

If he's swimming it is normal to have all that space, and enjoy it, as long as it is not darting, like out of control swimming, if it's because he's just exploring, it's normal, do you have plants, and a heater in your tank?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 
lelei

Also, if you could take a pic and post it, and of the tank, I would love to see it:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 
MollyJean

I gotta agree with lelei, swimming is good. An active fish is a healthy fish. It's a real shame so many people believe betta don't NEED space. They think the fish is not active, so it doesn't need room, when in fact it's not active because it doesn't HAVE room.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Lots of swimming is great! Just make sure it's swimming not tailbiting. Those are one of the signs so watch him!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 
agrunner14

I have a fake plant in there right now, but will be putting some bulbs in the tank so he can have some real plants. I'm just waiting to do that because I will be leaving home for school soon. As of now I do not have a heater. I was thinking of going to get one soon, though. How do those work exactly? Do you set it at a temperature to keep the water then it will keep it that way?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #7 
agrunner14

I tried posting a picture in that last post... don't know if it worked though...
Old 07-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #8 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrunner14 View Post
I have a fake plant in there right now, but will be putting some bulbs in the tank so he can have some real plants. I'm just waiting to do that because I will be leaving home for school soon. As of now I do not have a heater. I was thinking of going to get one soon, though. How do those work exactly? Do you set it at a temperature to keep the water then it will keep it that way?
A heater is a great thing to have, since bettas are tropical fish and need a warm environment to live in. I have a tetra submersible heater. These heaters are set to constantly keep the water at 78 F, and it only cost me around $10.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrunner14 View Post
I tried posting a picture in that last post... don't know if it worked though...

maybe spiderman is making him anxious
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #10 
Twilight Storm

I'm not seeing a picture in your post agrunner14.

If you put the picture somewhere like photobucket or in your albums here you can push the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a mountain with a sun picture. Then get the http address of the picture and just paste it inside the little box the icon brings up and vola! :D

It sounds to me like he's exploring too. If you have his light on maybe turn it off for a while, he will be a little less stressed in dimmer light while he figures out what's going on in his new home. :)

Edited to add registereduser - you're quick!!! lol

That looks like an Aqueon 5 gallon bow? I just wanted to say, the fluval edge pre filter sponges fit really nicely over the intake tubes on those. My fish end up sleeping on the pre filter sponges by spreading out all their fins and slapping themselves lightly on the side of the sponge to be held there by the suction.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250

If it goes on loose and is slipping (I have one annoying one that seems to have a bigger pre-drilled hole in it then the rest.) I took a small ring of airline tubing just big enough to make a small ring inside the sponge. I fit it down into the bottom of the sponge, and when I slipped it back on the intake, it snaps on the little grate that is at the bottom of the intake tube on your filter and doesn't slide around.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 07-29-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote