Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 
mamanemeth1

Angry Absolutely appalled!!!!

Took a Walmart trip today to scope out some decorations for my Patriot and actually found something that will not tear his fins unlike the fake plant I had gotten which I still feel awful about.

Got him that then some gems as well. Yes spoiled. ANYWAY. Then took myself over to the Betta section...........let....me....tell.....you....wha t! I have never been so upset. EVERY SINGLE betta's fins are torn, living in dirt/poo and living in not only the awful, small cups but in COLD WATER!!!! I'm not an activist but I am all about bettas now, and I don't care if I embarrassed myself, but I was fuming and yelling. My 20 year old brother who doesn't have an ounce of knowledge of bettas even knew that they are living in horrible conditions. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I will be rescuing one of them tomorrow. I wish, wish, wish all of them but right now don't have the means of that. I will feel good knowing I've saved atleast one. If anyone is in the Decatur, IN area and has the room to rescue a betta, PLEASE go for it. Man I am so sad.
mamanemeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Even if your intentions are just plain great, you're supporting them to get even more Bettas into there evil lair. Don't do it, please! Even if it's so tempting, it's good for the Bettas and for the Bettas in the future.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 
lelei

Just keep on writing to Walmart and expressing those thoughts on paper, and then ask for a reply..so you will know it's getting in their heads to do something, demand that something be done, I was also in walmart the other day, and I saw no bettas there, but next to the betta, and fish section, I saw Vases, and I casually picked up every one and put them in the Vase and craft section..and I will continue to do that, and write to walmart as well, for the same purpose. ~A pen is mightier than a sword~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #4 
mamanemeth1

Uggghhh. :/ I don't know. It's pretty much how it would be with any place, even Petco or Petsmart which I know NOT ALL pet stores take care of their fish. The other fish's tanks and fish alone are in pristine conditions but of course not the bettas. I don't think I could pass up rescuing a betta.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #5 
WildFlower

^+1 If anything, you should demand that their water be changed and that their living conditions are horrible and nobody wants to buy a fish in dirty water. You could also pick a sick betta and demand that you get him/her for free, because he/she would die any way in those conditions.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
toad

Honey, don't worry - I broke down crying and shaking in Walmart a few days ago. I complained several times, and was ignored every time, until I just lost it and demanded to speak to a manager. I stood over her while she cleaned the cups out.

I took 3 of them home with me, which I know is not ideal. I took one first, then went back for the two little girls after visiting and thinking about them for days, and seeing that no one wanted them. While it made all the difference in the world to these 3 little animals that I am in love with, I was making room for more on WM's shelf. I justified my actions by saying that WM would replace them if they died anyway, so either way, another fish would end up there; at least I saved one in the process.

What you can do instead is complain your rear off, and force them to care for the fish they are selling. Write to corporate 50 times if you have to. Call the manager a million times and complain if you have to. Take pictures.

I won't judge you or blame you if you rescue one of those little guys, and in fact you will be saving a life doing it. But don't think that you HAVE to buy them to help them, because you don't.

xoxo.

Thrilled to say that when I went to check up on Wally World's fish today, the Betta rack was EMPTY. :D
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 
lelei

I agree Toad, Get someone onto the floor, and Watch as they clean the cups out, if you see something that bad ever again, to make sure they know you will be dropping in to make sure they are doing their jobs right!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #8 
mamanemeth1

Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate. I would be rescuing for the sole fact that I just want another betta cause I only have my one. So this makes me extra eager to get one. I didn't go toward that area and out on a whim decide, "Oh hey how about one to rescue," just for the heck of it. Been thinking about it ever since I knew I was coming down to visit my parents. BUT. Yes! I will be writing a letter, and more than one at that I'm sure. Toad, I understand your reaction to it. I was so nauseous. I've never felt this way about an animal species before. But knowing they are SO delicate and honestly do have personalities and are just plain amazing, really has my emotions going.

I love this forum A LOT and the support everyone gives to each other is something to be proud of. So again, thank you all fellow betta lovers. <3
Old 07-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanemeth1 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate. I would be rescuing for the sole fact that I just want another betta cause I only have my one. So this makes me extra eager to get one. I didn't go toward that area and out on a whim decide, "Oh hey how about one to rescue," just for the heck of it. Been thinking about it ever since I knew I was coming down to visit my parents. BUT. Yes! I will be writing a letter, and more than one at that I'm sure. Toad, I understand your reaction to it. I was so nauseous. I've never felt this way about an animal species before. But knowing they are SO delicate and honestly do have personalities and are just plain amazing, really has my emotions going.

I love this forum A LOT and the support everyone gives to each other is something to be proud of. So again, thank you all fellow betta lovers. <3
And as long as there is enough of us speaking up for those who cannot speak for themselves..We will save these gorgeous fishy's.. and the problem is people who see these fish as disposable, and they are just "Fish" but not to us, and those who have no idea that a betta fish is such a special lil fish, and needs much attention, and we have to be the educators and get the help to those who need it most, I will gladly take in a rescue, it will never stop them from repacing another one, but will help save a life
Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #10 
choob99

I don't even go to the pet section in Walmart anymore, I just get made, so I avoid it
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote