Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Males when young, tend to have a fake 'ovipositor'.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #12 
JessSH

Thanks. I put her in a certian spot on my book case that has always kept my boys tanks in the high 70s & covered it with a towel until I can grab a new tank, heater & baby pellets today. I had my 6 yr old cousin in tow yesterday, so it was pretty much grab the fish & go. She's definitely doing better, but still has the stripes so I'm very grateful that LebronTheBetta mentioned that. I really appreciate the advice! It sounds pretty straight forward with just some temp differences & different food. I've heard a lot of people have the babies die, hopefully I will be different! Thanks everyone!!!
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #13 
Twilight Storm

The "stress" stripes your baby has are more likely just juvie stripes. You can google for more info on juvenile stripes if you wish. I wouldn't worry TOO much about the little thing being striped up like an adult under stress.

I thought I answered this earlier, but you can crush some new life spectrum pellets for your baby if they are too big. If you can find new life spectrum Grow formula they are smaller then the betta formula. Just crush a pellet lightly and it breaks into smaller chunks. My baby wouldn't eat the powder if I crushed them too much. Otherwise yeah frozen bloodworms are good, or live mosquito larvae if you have any outside.

Definitely keep the water around 80 and keep the water clean. babies give off a growth stunting hormone. You will be doing water changes a bit more often then you normally would.

A good place to start for additional information is over in the breeding forum and look for how to care for jarred fry, or how to raise your fry.

It's the same thing except you just have 1 rather then up to 100 to take care of at once. :D

OH and make sure you take pictures! It's amazing how FAST they change. If you can snap at least 1 picture every week. When your baby starts showing what sex he/she is at a few months old and go back and look at each picture you took it's amazing how quickly they change week to week! I need to take a picture of my baby again. As soon as he showed he was male I kind of stopped taking pictures for a long while. :D He's changed a bunch since my last one.

Edited to say: yes feed more often like DQ and others said on the first page. I wrote a lot that was already said because I didn't re-read the thread. Sorry everyone

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 07-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #14 
JessSH

Great idea TwilightStorm. My estimate is that she's only about a month old (please correct me if I'm wrong), so she has TONS of growing to do! I've been under so much stress I was kind of upset last night when I realized I had to get a new tank, heater, etc, but after a good nights sleep I'm really starting to get excited.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #15 
Twilight Storm

I meant to post this here when I thought I answered this last night. I foud this kind of cool to guess how old they are.

http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote