Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 
Freyja
Banned

10 gallon stocking opinions

I'm conflicted. One male with a whole kingdom to himself and about 4 albino cories or a sorority of about 6 girls and no other tankmates. Please help because I can't make up my mind.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 
clopez1

I just got 5 neons to go with my betta and mystery snail in a 10 gallon tank and day two they are all doing just fine.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #3 
MSG

Congrats on convincing your husband to get you the 10g.

I prefer the 5 girl sorority with 1-2 cories for cleanup.

There may be some sort of fighting/nipping though, so you will have to keep that in mind.

My halfmoon is being lazy nowadays. Lounges around all day, comes by to dance when he sees me and then goes back to lounging on the decorations once I feed him.

Nevermind, he only seems to kick back & relax when it's hot, but due to his long fins, he doesn't dart around the tank like the girls do.

I find the girls more entertaining to watch due to their speed and their personalities. Each the girls plays a different role in the tank.

Some of them will actively hunt snails, while the others ignore them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #4 
LittleWatty

I've been told cories might get too big for a 10 gallon, unless you get the dwarf/pygmy cories. I don't know for certain though.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 
MSG

Albinos usually don't go past 2" adult. But most likely they won't live that long anyway.

I just recommended them because bettas sometimes leave a mess when they eat and a cory has a good chance of locating the little bits of food before it decays.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Albinos usually don't go past 2" adult. But most likely they won't live that long anyway.

I just recommended them because bettas sometimes leave a mess when they eat and a cory has a good chance of locating the little bits of food before it decays.
Albinos can get up to 3" in length. They're very active and I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 20L. Do not stunt the poor corydoras growth by saying that they won't live that live that long, because the only reason they won't is if you think and that way and don't care!

Pygmy corydoras would be a great addition to the tank. There are 3 kinds, I think that the c. Hasboras are the ones most similar to their large cousins. Shrimp and snails would give you the same outcome. Also if you do get corydoras(pygmy ones preferably) please get more than 6 because they're schooling fish and act much better with groups. Plus they're less shy in larger groups.

Please do not get fish that will be harmed by careless upkeep:) fish are friends, not food!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

You also need more than two cories. They really need to be in a group of at least six individuals as in the wild they live in very large schools/shoals and this will make them feel more comfortable.

I would put a group of six pygmy corydoras in with a single betta male. Females plus corydoras in a 10 gallon tank would be slightly overstocking it in my opinion and I worry about sororities and other fish as my sorority females form sort of pack mentality towards anything that isn't a female betta.

Didn't see the post above had addressed the number factor for cories.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote