My Betta sitting at the bottom

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees Farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives by himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta Plus Pellets and Frozen Blood Worms or Frozen Brine Shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two pellets twice per day (occasionally feed him a blood worm or brine shrimp for a third meal)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Used to do a change twice a week, now have been only doing it once a week lately
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? used to do 50% and then 100% for each week, lately only been doing 100% once a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His coating looks different, as if it looked dry or something? His color is more dull
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is very inactive. He began swimming around real slowly, floating still for a long time, now he floats at the bottom of his tank all the time
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday or the day before yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Only a 100% water change, nothing else yet so far. I took away his ornaments and plants......
Does your fish have any history of being ill? After I first purchased him from the pet store, he sometimes spit out his pellet food and then ate them, then he became a very good eater (except he spit out flakes sometimes so don't feed him those anymore) until now obviously
How old is your fish (approximately)? I purchased him from the pet store around 3 months ago

I've been taking very good care of him for a while until a little bit after I began started taking 5 college classes for summer school. I used to feed him 2 pellets twice a day and then one bloodworm OR brine shrimp and changed his water twice a week. One 100% and one 50 %. Lately with more compressed time for classes during summer school and final exams happening right now, I haven't been taking care of him very well at all. I began changing his water 100% only once a week and usually feed him two pellets twice a day. That is it. :/ Now he's acting like he is very sick. I'm thinking it was poor water quality (obviously) and underfeeding him...... Next time, I will do something like get a bigger tank where I do not have to change his water twice a week, because with school right now I do not have the time unfortunately. Another option I thought of was to give him away to someone who was preferably experienced or responsible fish keeper who would be willing and have the time to nurse him back to health. SOmeone who would be able to take good care of my little guy.
Any ideas on what to do? I just changed his tank water but there is no improvement. :( What can I do for Fantasia? Thank you very much!
I included a cell phone picture of him sitting at the bottom of his tank......
Attached Images

dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

My suggestion would be to try your hardest to keep up on the water changes. I definitely know it's difficult to keep up with the water changes and feeding schedules with a full schedule of your own. think of it this way perhaps, an extra 30 minutes of your time to do a water change means a healthy and happy life.

I don't think he's ill, but also check your heater to make sure it is working properly.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #3 
Maura

If you know you're not going to keep up with the tank maintenance, please rehome the fish. You're talking about what you'll do "next time" as if you're going to just let this fish die. He NEEDS his water changed more regularly and he NEEDS proper nutrition.

When you bought the fish you made a commitment to taking care of him. His quality of life depends solely on the care you give him.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

Wait for a few more days, if he doesn't become more active, he may be sick.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
ANHEL123

Are you able to buy stress coat and aquarium salt? Aquarium salt you can buy at any pet store.
If you can put him in small container that you bought him in and do aquarium salt treatment. And in small container it will take just a few min. to do changes.

Pre mix 2taq salt in one gall jug, shake it well to make sure it dissolved. Do 100% daily water changes. And you can use pre mixed water for a couple of treatments. I use aged water all the time. You will need to do daily 100% water changes for 10 days.

And i don't think you should not blame yourself. You feed him daily, change weekly,took time at 01.01 am to ask for help...I read so many post and so many people have sick bettas no matter how right/good care the do. With cycling without cycling ans so on...Bettas just like all other animals get sick. So it not you.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 07-26-2012 at 10:13 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

Also if you will have 10 bettas like i do and do the same care for all of them ,they will still have different life spam .
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Somehow i end up founding your prevention post when you treated him with medications and salt. I think you brought poor guy already sick from the store .
I am wondering if he is bloated now. I can't see it on the picture. And i don't remember all issue that he had before it 9 pages to read ,but i think he had this issue before.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #8 
dbrooke1

thank you, everyone! he's doing well and is back to his normal little self. =)
anhel, fish are like people it sounds like!
appreciate the advice. no need for aq salt and stress coat now. glad.
9 pages would take time to read, uh? no, he was not bloated. after i first purchased him while he overfed him a little he did become bloated, yes. his bloatedness has eventually gone away completely since i fed him normal amounts.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #9 
dbrooke1

anhel123*