Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #2781 
LebronTheBetta

Like $10 on eBay probably.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #2782 
craiger75

Good call! Upon further review almond leaves not only lowers the ph but hardens their scales ... more natural approach with an added benefit.

Here's a link if anyone's interested ...

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,%2...d%20Leaves.htm
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #2783 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you don't mind beer-colored water, IAL is good for your fish.

Nothing wrong with a 7.6 pH. Usually Betta keepers don't worry unless it gets well above 8.0pH. In fact, it's good for maintaining a stable nitrogen cycle

It should have no effect on your plants. I would look elsewhere for the cause of your plant problems.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #2784 
KevinPham123

Is this thread stickied? If not, it should be :)
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #2785 
craiger75

So ... I finally got snails - not by choice however. I know they come from plants, which i find rather strange considering i haven't bought any new ones in awhile. I was really digging up the gravel today to do some replanting and put some laterite in - they didn't come from that did they? I do seem to recall seeing things before that I thought were plant spores so I chucked them, or dropped them back in the tank.

I'm not particularly interested in getting rid of them and I could really use the help with algae. So, my question is; what am I looking for to make sure they don't become a nuisance to my betta? I know they can cause disease, and one thing to watch out for is a spike in ammonia but other than that what else?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #2786 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
If you don't mind beer-colored water, IAL is good for your fish.

Nothing wrong with a 7.6 pH. Usually Betta keepers don't worry unless it gets well above 8.0pH. In fact, it's good for maintaining a stable nitrogen cycle

It should have no effect on your plants. I would look elsewhere for the cause of your plant problems.
Yeah, I ordered some today. It was even cheaper than lebron quoted, so i figured I'd check it out. Another guy said leaves on plants yellowing or browning (or both) could be a sign of too much alkalinity but whatever .... I've never had what could be considered a green thumb

Last edited by craiger75; 07-30-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #2787 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger75 View Post
Is there any way to lower my ph without buying yet another product? I just got a reading of 7.6 and the high ph was actually lower (yes, i did it right) - lol! And, is this really an issue? He seems fine, it's my plants that are turning weird colors from what I think is probably too much alkalinity in the water among other things.

Wow kj, that's the second avatar i've seen on here that bears a striking resemblance to my betta - Too cool
7.6 is fine. actually anywhere between 6.5 and 8.5 (and aome say even 9) is ok.

Stability is what you should be concentrating on. avoiding ph fluctuations ensure a stable environment. I personally like the water a little harder to maintain this stability. the PH of my water is generally around 7.6 as well.

Add IAL is great and a natural water softener. I do like the color of banana leaves better tho :O just personal preference but :)

Most plants are happy with a higher PH. when plants turn yellow, it means that you may not have enough iron in the water........ or...... yoir lighting is not sufficient....or too much :O. or maybe the roots are rotting... too many possibilities here, lol. but it is highly unlikely that the PH induced the reaction from the plants.

Annnnnnnnnndddd *avoid* all PH changing shelf products! lol.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #2788 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
7.6 is fine. actually anywhere between 6.5 and 8.5 (and aome say even 9) is ok.

Stability is what you should be concentrating on. avoiding ph fluctuations ensure a stable environment. I personally like the water a little harder to maintain this stability. the PH of my water is generally around 7.6 as well.

Add IAL is great and a natural water softener. I do like the color of banana leaves better tho :O just personal preference but :)

Most plants are happy with a higher PH. when plants turn yellow, it means that you may not have enough iron in the water........ or...... yoir lighting is not sufficient....or too much :O. or maybe the roots are rotting... too many possibilities here, lol. but it is highly unlikely that the PH induced the reaction from the plants.

Annnnnnnnnndddd *avoid* all PH changing shelf products! lol.
Yeah, i originally looked at BL but the IAL was sooo much cheaper His fins look a little ragged, but I'm not seeing fin rot per se so maybe that'll clear it up. As far as ph, I thought a higher number made more sense for freshwater fish/plants but what do i know Thx!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #2789 
kimnoa

Question:))

I have no access to typical live amd frozen foods like bloodworms in my location and i just use bettafood w/c is not a healthy diet. I do have alot of moquito and mosquito larvae in my location w/c i use for alternative live food.

Is this alternative safe?
kimnoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #2790 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnoa View Post
Question:))

I have no access to typical live amd frozen foods like bloodworms in my location and i just use bettafood w/c is not a healthy diet. I do have alot of moquito and mosquito larvae in my location w/c i use for alternative live food.

Is this alternative safe?
Quick answer; yes, my understanding is that bettas eat mosquito larvae. Mosquitoes and safety? I couldn't tell you. I don't know why the betta food wouldn't be a healthy diet though as long as it's good quality. My understanding is the Betta Bio-Gold, which I would otherwise recommend has gone downhill recently.

Last edited by craiger75; 07-30-2012 at 06:29 AM.