Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #2791 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnoa View Post
Question:))

I have no access to typical live amd frozen foods like bloodworms in my location and i just use bettafood w/c is not a healthy diet. I do have alot of moquito and mosquito larvae in my location w/c i use for alternative live food.

Is this alternative safe?
Yup! I fed mine that =D but do wash them thoroughly. I catch mine in a brineshrimp net and run them under the tap for a good minute or two before putting them in a bottle with good, clean conditioned water.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #2792 
kimnoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger75 View Post
Quick answer; yes, my understanding is that bettas eat mosquito larvae. Mosquitoes and safety? I couldn't tell you. I don't know why the betta food wouldn't be a healthy diet though as long as it's good quality. My understanding is the Betta Bio-Gold, which I would otherwise recommend has gone downhill recently.
Yes thank u for that info.. I read somewhere that if you don't mix betta proccessed food with frozen or live food it makes a betta sick. Confused
kimnoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #2793 
kimnoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Yup! I fed mine that =D but do wash them thoroughly. I catch mine in a brineshrimp net and run them under the tap for a good minute or two before putting them in a bottle with good, clean conditioned water.
Thank u so i just need too clean the water of those larvae thouroughly thank u very much.
kimnoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #2794 
speedracer24

How often to feed

I am a new owner of a beautiful blue betta crowntail and I have been told to feed him every other day and on my food container and care kit I bought it say to feed twice a day, which is it?
speedracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #2795 
LebronTheBetta

Feed every day. If your pellets are micro pellets, you can feed 2 pellets 2x a day. If they're pretty big, 3 pellets a day. Oh, and fast 1 day a week. Just to let the system clear out and not build up.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #2796 
Akuinnen

An employee/betta owner at PetCo recommended I feed my betta freeze-dried bloodworms, but it seems like a lot of people here use pellets. Does he need to also have pellets in his diet to be healthy? I have some freeze-dried brine shrimp as well.
Akuinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #2797 
LebronTheBetta

Freeze Dried foods should be snacks. They're known to bloat. Pellets are good for staple diets. ^^
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #2798 
emaleeluna

Found a female betta, had been wanting one so badly and she was in a container marked "male," at Walmart of all the places, and I want her to be in with one of my males. I have digs for her, but would really rather put her in with one of them. Can I? Will they get along?
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #2799 
LebronTheBetta

No, females and males can't be together unless it's a pond, or breeding purposes. They would either mate, or kill each other.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #2800 
emaleeluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
No, females and males can't be together unless it's a pond, or breeding purposes. They would either mate, or kill each other.
Thanks so much. I floated her with each one of them and it wasn't pretty. I don't want to risk her. I put her in the 10g with a lace catfish, another kind of catfish, that I keep forgetting the name of, is a cory a catfish? and 3 glofish. She's doing well, she seems friendly, I'm more worried about the glofish nipping her than her getting them. She seems to love the lace catfish and he, her. Do these guys seem likely mates to you? I really dislike the glofish, wish I wouldn't have purchased them, they just look schizofrenic to me, not relaxing at all, but I'm a "pet for life" kinda girl. Thanks again. I read your answers all the time and your advice has really helped me. Glad you're out there for us newbies.
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote