Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

How do I prepare my tank?

I'm planning on buying a betta, a snail, and a tank tonight- most likely a 4-5 gallon tank, without a filter. But then when I get home, I fill the tank with water, but obviously it's going to take a while to get to room temp with that amount of water. Do I have to put in that water conditioner first? Or let the water sit out overnight? How long do I have to wait to put my fish in? I've only had a 1/2 gallon tank before, so I basically waited an hour or so before putting my fish in.
How long do I have to wait to put him in the new tank I'm about to buy? I'd hate to keep him in that tiny cup for any longer than I have to. Can I put the snail in at the same time as the fish? Can I even put the snail in right away when I put the water in? I'm also going to plant it with live plants... lol any help would be great!
Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 
Panama Bliss

Location: Chino Hills California, Honolulu Hawaii, Los Angeles California
Well the 1st thing you need to do is yes, let the water sit over night and also add water conditioner for your fish to the water. Be sure the water is at least 76 degrees as colder water may make your fish ill. U can the snail same time that u add your betta. I would se his cup in the 76 degree water so he can acclimate for an hour or so. Once you have added conditionerand have water temp proper, drop him in and enjoy. The Betta is hardy, so he should be OK in an uncycled tank. U may want to add a ghost shrimp or two to clean up as the snail will keep the glass clean. Good luck and enjoy
Panama Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

There's no reason to let the water sit overnight. You add the water conditioner and acclimate your betta to the water. Float him in the tank in the cup, about half way full for 15 minutes. Fill part of the cup with new tank water and let him float for 30 minutes. Do this until his cup is full then introduce him to the tank. Be mindful of water changes as snails poop a lot and will impact your bioload. Shrimp wont have much of an impact but your betta may see them as a tasty treat.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Do I have to cycle my tank? It seems like something you do with bigger tanks, but I've read of people cycling a 5 gallon tank... I'd rather not if I don't have to- it sounds like such a long process!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 
Panama Bliss

Location: Chino Hills California, Honolulu Hawaii, Los Angeles California
Two ways to cycle

Yes, u want to cycle tank. This is so beneficial bacteria grows. You can do a fishless cycle which i suppose more is humane, or u can use fish. I used Zebra Danios in my tank, but took them after about a week. Then dropped my betta in the tank with 5 Tetra, Plecos, 4 shrimp, and a female. I wouldn't recommend putting a male and female unless u plan to breed. My betta are non aggressive ironically. But yea, your Betta is hardy, so u can add him during the cycle and he should be fine, but some people would disagree. I think placing your betta in the tank once water temp and PH are balanced out is better. Just be kind to your fish. Good luck

Last edited by Panama Bliss; 07-27-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: grammar error
Panama Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Since you don't plan on a filter it will be difficult if not impossible to establish the nitrogen cycle due to the limited dissolved oxygen content that the filter will help provide as the water hits the surface creating the gas exchange....Anyway...

In your 4-5gal unfiltered tank-using your thermometer- equalize the water temp at the tap to 76-80F and fill the tank-Add proper amount of dechlorinator-give a slight stir-then properly acclimate the Betta and snail and add to the tank...

To properly acclimate to both the new chemistry and temp-while the Betta is in a small holding container-dump half that water out and add small amount of the tank water until full-Repeat-Then either net the Betta or pour the Betta into a net and add to the tank. You don't want to add any of the pet shop water to the new tank.

Have some extra like temp dechlorinated water premixed to use for a top off if needed.

Acclimate the snail in the same way....

What kind of live plants, what kind of substrate and most important...Lighting-kelvin and watts of the bulb-do you plan on any natural sun light.

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have on on hand-your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range.

You will need a thermometer to monitor both the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.

Depending on the number, specie and growth state of the live plants-often they will provide the needed oxygen to help establish the nitrogen cycle and you may not want to make any 100% water changes like you normally would need to make on unfiltered tank.

On about day 3 of adding the Betta, snail and plants-make a 50% water only change...be sure to try and get the water temp of the replacement water within at least 10 degrees of the tank water temp and use the proper amount of dechlorinator.

Once we have more info on the number, species of live plants and lighting-We can give you a better idea of water change needs to maintain water quality....

Be sure and post a pic once you get it set up.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

I've changed my mind about the filter. I will use the filter.
I'm just planning on using gravel as substrate and I'm not sure what exact plant types yet. I'm probably going to use a 10 watt compact fluorescent bulb.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

I heard from another thread that you got a 3 gallon. I would not sugest using a filter for the bacteria because they cannot maintain a stable cycle in a 3 gallon. You can use it for aeration though :D

If you don't have a heater, remember to test the temperature of the water the day after you do a water change, because the temperature of the water can stay high for hours after you add it, then go down to below room temperature quickly.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #9 
OrangeAugust

No, it will be a 5 gallon. Right now he's in a 1 gallon. I must have made a typo.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 
Pogthefish

Okay ^_^ srry I saw it on another post yo made btw. Oh well. good luck!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, snail, tank, water