Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 
Oscar1067118

Betta help am begginer

Do bettas have salmonnela?
Do they need filter too in 2.5 gallon like this http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...top_btn=Update besides for the decorations?
Can I get another small fish that wont fight with him or a small snail like nerite.
How do I add photo of betta?
What dechlonator dont know how to spell the one that takes away the chloro. Which one is best?

Last edited by Oscar1067118; 07-30-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: New question, made mistake
Oscar1067118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1067118 View Post
Do they need filter too in 2.5 gallon like this http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...top_btn=Update besides for the decorations?
Can I get another small fish that wont fight with him or a small snail like nerite.
No they do not have salmonella, the disease that transfers to humans is tuberculosis, but not all fish carry it. If you have the 2.5 gallon tank like the one pictured you don't need a filter. You cannot put another fish in there. A small nerite snail would be fine or a few ghost/cherry shrimp. There are a few ways to add photos. If you mean on the posts you need to go advanced, if you mean on your profile you need to go to the user CP
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Hi and welcome to the forum!
No, Bettas can't transfer diseases. Unless they have TB.
Bettas don't need filters, but it's recommended. in tanks Less than 5 gallons, it's hard to cycle but it can be done. I'm starting a cycle in my 3.5 gallon today.
In a tank less than 10 gallons, all you can have are snails and shrimp. Nerite snails are OK in a 2.5 gallon, be careful with ammonia spikes.
Sorry but, I have a different way of uploading pictures, sorry. :(
P.S. Do you have Oscars?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #4 
Oscar1067118

Thanks for answering. And no I dont have oscars lol well ill go right now and add profile pic.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
What dechlonator dont know how to spell the one that takes away the chloro?

Filters are optional but highly recommended. I personally like filters because it keeps the water completely clear and will help disperse heat throughout your tank. (BTW Bettas should have a heater to maintain water temperature of around 78-80 degrees)

As for decorations- silk or live plants. NO plastic plants, most rip fins. Make sure any decor/caves you get aren't rough or have jagged edges, make sure there aren't any holes in them that are too small for a betta to fit through.

No, a 2.5 gallon tank is not fit to hold any other fish. I wouldn't reccomend a nerite snail either because they poop a lot and add to the ammonia level. I suggest you just stick with a single betta & do two water changes per week- one 50% change and one 100% change.

You can add a picture of your betta by uploading it to a photo sharing website (photobucket for example) then click the image button in the reply box, and copy paste the photo link.

Any fish water dechlorinator works, I personally like sea chem prime.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 
Oscar1067118

Ya im getting him silk plants and the spongebob house. And spongebob and patrick dolls. The tank has white gravel and am getting gravel vaccum. Also heater and other things. Which comes to a total of 45 dollars. also my aunty bought me the fish,aquarium,gravel. So I couldnt get the tank ready before I got the fish. And I cant just make money appear since I am 13 years
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Ya im getting him silk plants and the spongebob house. And spongebob and patrick dolls. The tank has white gravel and am getting gravel vaccum. Also heater and other things. Which comes to a total of 45 dollars. also my aunty bought me the fish,aquarium,gravel. So I couldnt get the tank ready before I got the fish. And I cant just make money appear since I am 13 years
Okay, sounds good. I know what you mean, it is difficult to afford fish when you're too young for a job. I'm 15. :)

BTW if you can't afford to buy everything right away, the first thing you should get is the heater and water conditioner. (bettas tend to get lethargic without a heater and will die without conditioned water)

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-30-2012 at 03:29 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I'm 11. NOOO!!!! :( It's great to be a kid, though. I'm not a teen, yet! Yet...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #9 
Oscar1067118

Those are the first things am getting heater and water conditioner.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

You don't need a filter for a small tank but if you get a snail, I would suggest getting a small one as they poop alot.
There is one called a small world filter that is for smaller tanks. Never owned one myself though.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-World%C2.../dp/B0002565KC

as for declorinator/water conditioner there are many options. I like stress coat the best but PRIME is also a popular choice. I have it but usually don;t use prime as it has a very icky smell kinda like cat whiz. I have also used betta bowl plus and amquel plus. all will remove chlorine and most remove heavy metals but not all remove ammonia. I have it in my tap water so I add in a drop or 2 of either prime or amquel plus.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote