Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #21 
jenjen182

I went to my local Petco today, and I saw... (DUH, DUH, DUH...) baby bettas! Fortunately, my Petco takes really amazing care of their bettas (been going there for 10 yrs, no dead ones yet!), so they were healthy little ones. They were selling them with tanks that are like 1/2 of 1/2 of a gallon though! Oh my goodness, poor bettas in those tiny tank kits with sharp plants! :( I was picking up a new 5 gallon for my upcoming betta... (read my signature) and some conditioner and food, when I saw them, as well as a pretty delta! :D They make me happy...
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #22 
KevinPham123

WOW. You had a 6 yr old betta? Mirin lol.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #23 
jenjen182

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
WOW. You had a 6 yr old betta? Mirin lol.
I'm sorry; "Mirin"?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #24 
ao
TFK Moderator

I managed to keep a rather sickly one alive who was suffering from ich, unfortunately she passed whilst in the care of my friend (no fault of hers) with a second case of ich :( a few weeks ago.

My second baby betta is still going strong ( In the care of another friend)
You will find that these guys warm up to you much more easily and you will be able to teach them tricks faster.

Care is not that difficult for the relatively healthy ones in store. Try not to "save" the emaciated or sickly looking ones as they are much harder to keep alive in the introduction to a new environment. Save the ones that are the healthiest and thus most likely to survive.

Baby Bettas grow the fastest at around 90F (I've had a breeder tell me 100 is ok too but I dunno) the minimum temperature they should be subjected to is in the mid 80s for optimum growth.

Water should be changed frequently to avoid stunting the fish with the accumulation of their own growth inhibiting hormones. The ones you see in shops are most likely stunted, and it is likely you will see a growth spurt after introducing them to a nice clean environment.

Both my babies have taken one finely crushed pellet (hikari) fed 3 or four times a day) sometimes two pellets a feeding. It seems to be ok feeding them close to adult amounts as all this food tends to translates to growth. I would feed 3 to be on the safe side.

you can also supplement their diet with small live foods (blood worms may need to be chopped up)

For food that are not live you may need to simulate movement to teach the babies how to eat. I taught my girl by blowing crushed pellets on the surface of the water so that she began chasing after it. you can also wiggle things on the end of a toothpick etc etc.

I haven't found keeping baby bettas hard at all. Even the sickly one pulled through like a warrior with a salt bath and half daily water changes. They are tough little things with warrior genes.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #25 
jenjen182

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I managed to keep a rather sickly one alive who was suffering from ich, unfortunately she passed whilst in the care of my friend (no fault of hers) with a second case of ich :( a few weeks ago.

My second baby betta is still going strong ( In the care of another friend)
You will find that these guys warm up to you much more easily and you will be able to teach them tricks faster.

Care is not that difficult for the relatively healthy ones in store. Try not to "save" the emaciated or sickly looking ones as they are much harder to keep alive in the introduction to a new environment. Save the ones that are the healthiest and thus most likely to survive.

Baby Bettas grow the fastest at around 90F (I've had a breeder tell me 100 is ok too but I dunno) the minimum temperature they should be subjected to is in the mid 80s for optimum growth.

Water should be changed frequently to avoid stunting the fish with the accumulation of their own growth inhibiting hormones. The ones you see in shops are most likely stunted, and it is likely you will see a growth spurt after introducing them to a nice clean environment.

Both my babies have taken one finely crushed pellet (hikari) fed 3 or four times a day) sometimes two pellets a feeding. It seems to be ok feeding them close to adult amounts as all this food tends to translates to growth. I would feed 3 to be on the safe side.

you can also supplement their diet with small live foods (blood worms may need to be chopped up)

For food that are not live you may need to simulate movement to teach the babies how to eat. I taught my girl by blowing crushed pellets on the surface of the water so that she began chasing after it. you can also wiggle things on the end of a toothpick etc etc.

I haven't found keeping baby bettas hard at all. Even the sickly one pulled through like a warrior with a salt bath and half daily water changes. They are tough little things with warrior genes.
Wow, it sounds like you are a great owner! I prefer the adult bettas, but maybe sometime I might try the baby bettas! They are sooo cute with the tiny fins.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #26 
gossipgirl1031

I've raised several of the babies into adults. They do require extra work, higher temps, special food & lots of TLC. I had "placed" my last one into a new (also responsible) home recently & thought I was done for a little while. But while I was picking up cat supplies last week, I saw the smallest one ever. No color at all yet & about the size of a dime, maybe a nickel (at best). So far, so good. Let's hope he stays healthy during this critical period :)
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote